Thread: FreeBSD firewall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

FreeBSD firewall

I know this isn't technically Ubuntu related but since this is the most active, most useful forum anywhere on the internet I only post here.

I was thinking about setting up a firewall (just to learn more about IP tables, security, etc). From what I've read BSD is considered very secure so I thought I would try that.

Can anyone give me any info on this? Past experience?

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Re: FreeBSD firewall

Quote Originally Posted by kuyaedz
    I know this isn't technically Ubuntu related but since this is the most active, most useful forum anywhere on the internet I only post here.

I was thinking about setting up a firewall (just to learn more about IP tables, security, etc). From what I've read BSD is considered very secure so I thought I would try that.

Can anyone give me any info on this? Past experience?

Cheers.
    You won't learn IP Tables from FreeBSD. You have three firewalls to choose from in FreeBSD, it's IPFW, IPFilter and PF. I prefer PF.

After having set up any of them you'll still not know much about setting up a firewall in Linux.

If you are interested in learning how to set up a firewall in Linux (IP Tables) then use Linux for it instead. Want to make it really easy, install firestarter and then look at the config it created.

If you want the most secure system, set up an OpenBSD box and learn to use PF and you'll have an extremely secure box, quite possibly THE most secure box you can have.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ok. I suppose IP tables isn't the best route for full security.. OpenBSD you say? I'll check it out.

note: I am not tempted to move away from ubuntu, just wanting to learn something new on one of my extra machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by kuyaedz
    Ok. I suppose IP tables isn't the best route for full security.. OpenBSD you say? I'll check it out.

note: I am not tempted to move away from ubuntu, just wanting to learn something new on one of my extra machines.
    http://www.openbsd.org/

If you have any questions or problems, feel free to PM me, i'll help you out.

curuxz is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

like the new avatar bsd

I to am trying to expand my horizens with bsd systems. Is it good for development web servers, if its fast ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Isnt the only reason OpenBSD is so secure is the fact everything is turned off by default, and when you accually do things it gets unsecure?

Beans

learn the freebsd firewall: http://www.ipfwrocks.org/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xequence
    Isnt the only reason OpenBSD is so secure is the fact everything is turned off by default, and when you accually do things it gets unsecure ?
    Yes but it is also very stable. As far as I can tell it is regarded as the most secure/stable free OS out there.

Something i'm gonna try in the future.

Beans
    Hidden!

Isnt the only reason OpenBSD is so secure is the fact everything is turned off by default, and when you accually do things it gets unsecure?
    Just take a look at the history and development info about OpenBSD, it's quite informative.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

and that's why apache, bind etc. is runned in a chroot by default.

there no way one can't love PF
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Franklin
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.