Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mp3 scan for corrupt mp3s

Beans

mp3 scan for corrupt mp3s

Does anyone use a tool to check the integrity of mp3 files?

I found two tools: mp3check and mp3val, but neither seems to be popular or talked about (a search on ubuntuforums yielded no results).

I tried mp3val since it seems to be the most recently updated and it found a lot of errors and was even able to fix them. After listening to 3 of the files that were fixed, I only noticed 1 that fixed something from what I could tell (before, there was a lot glitch sort of noise).

Are music players so advanced now that they can get by most errors? Am I missing a good tool that people use?

Thanks!

Beans

Re: mp3 scan for corrupt mp3s

please note that I cross-posted on the multimedia subforum (I forgot about it before!):
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1176923

Beans

I suspect almost no one has use for such a tool, which is unfortunate for you. I bet you would have a better shot in the multimedia production subforum.

peace
    Ubuntu user since 5.10 "Breezy Badger"
    Please share your experience with your Linux Printer!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Exclamation Re: mp3 scan for corrupt mp3s

I would like to know how to remove bad mp3s as well. i used some sort of mp3 processor with a GUI and it ran two different profiles on my mp3's. I have one Music folder and anything that reasonably is worth keeping, I would like to keep. if it has two many errors, then i need it gone. after using the two profiles using "mp3 diags" from ubuntu repo i am now fixing headers and tags on all my files in my Music folder, but now i am ready to purge anything that shouldn't qualify as a mp3.

thanks
    -=-

you can only see as far as you think

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PGScooter View Post
    Does anyone use a tool to check the integrity of mp3 files?

I found two tools: mp3check and mp3val, but neither seems to be popular or talked about (a search on ubuntuforums yielded no results).

I tried mp3val since it seems to be the most recently updated and it found a lot of errors and was even able to fix them. After listening to 3 of the files that were fixed, I only noticed 1 that fixed something from what I could tell (before, there was a lot glitch sort of noise).

Are music players so advanced now that they can get by most errors? Am I missing a good tool that people use?

Thanks!
    mp3diags is great for detecting corrupt mp3s not so great at fixing them (if you're a noob that is)

Beans
    Distro

any tips on fixing them and deleting all mp3s that are beyond repair ? maybe a simple bash script ?
    -=-

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by swimfish View Post
    any tips on fixing them and deleting all mp3s that are beyond repair ? maybe a simple bash script ?
    not one, i scanned my mp3 collection once, and repaired a few quite nicely so i decided to let it have its way with all of them and it screwed up big time
    most of the problematic ones were the ones with multiple streams and mp3diags says that a mp3 should have exactly one so it decides to delete the other ones ruinig the whole mp3, i know they shouldn't have more than one stream but i'd rather have a working mp3 with multiple mp3 streams than a broken one with a ok file structure
    it does however fix the VBR headers which confuse mp3 players (you know, like when you have a mp3 thats 4 minutes long and the player says its 3 hours long)
    Last edited by kartabosh; December 5th, 2010 at 11:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro

i clearly have damaged mp3s and was wondering how i could find them all and delete them. multiple streams ok. mp3 diag was something i used before using a command line utility to attempt fixing them.
    -=-

Beans

i'm not sure you can do anything about it, because technically they're flawless (at least mine)

Beans
    Distro

some of my mp3s have been shortened as a part of the repair process. those i would like deleted as well.
    -=-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast