Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some extra space in /

Beans

Question Need some extra space in /

Hello all..

I have recently installed Ubuntu 9.04 in my system. I used to use Fedora 10 till now. Now the problem is that when I was updating Ubuntu, it showed me that there's less space in / partition. So can someone give me a way of increasing this size without having to re-install Ubuntu? I also use Windows 7 due to my academics. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Need some extra space in /

shrink win7 using its own disk utilities. Then boot the ubuntu live cd, go to system>admin>partition editor, and expand / partition to incorporate unallocated space. (You have to work from the live cd because root cannot be mounted during resize).

hope that helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You can try shrinking your windows partition using its built-in disk manager, if it has one.

Then you can use gparted to increase the size of ubuntu, using the space that was freed up.

I know nothing about the particulars of win 7, but you also should defrag that partition before resizing, if possible. This is usually the case with any version of that os.
    -merlin

Beans

Ok. Through Win7 I'll shrink a drive (an NTFS one) that has 30 GB free space. But can't I do it using gparted itself? Sorry if I m sounding foolish 'cause I'm using gparted for the 1st time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

gparted doesn't handle vista or win7 NTFS too well. Better to use windows own disk tool. That's the recommended way.

Beans
    Distro

Hi logos34!

Does win 7 need defragging before shrinking, like all the previous versions?
    -merlin

Beans

i dont think so. I never used to defrag it before shrinking. And yet it all worked well

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by logos34 View Post
    gparted doesn't handle vista or win7 NTFS too well. Better to use windows own disk tool. That's the recommended way.
    Thanks. Vl follow ur told way...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by merlinus View Post
    Hi logos34!

Does win 7 need defragging before shrinking, like all the previous versions?
    Yo merlinus!

wazzup?

probably needs it, so I'd go with your suggestion...But I have to admit I'm not sure, since I've never tried win7 ntfs

Beans
    Distro

Finally got a new machine, and so my interest in sharing about and helping with ubuntu is back, at least for awhile.

I am loving the 64-bit version, as it runs the apps I need for digital photo processing much faster and better.

Glad to see at least one person I remember from the "old days" is still active!
    -merlin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast