Thread: Dead ubuntu II, a new issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Dead ubuntu II, a new issue

Hi all,

My ubuntu (hardy) died fairly horrifically

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1176251

I have everything that I wanted backed up and now im looking into installing from scratch.

I have an intrepid live cd I am trying to install from. I get through steps 1-6 fine...

Mid installation (28%) I get the message:

"Installation Failed"
    "The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk

[Errno 5] Input/Output error

This is often due to a faulty CD/DVD disk or drive, or a faulty hard disk..."

And so on, clean your disk etc...

Well the disk looks pretty much untouched and I've run the check disk integrity thing with nothing flagged as an error.

Basically is my computer totally screwed? Will I be able to just totally reformat my hard drive to fix it? Theres nothing Im worried about losing on it I just want to try and get a working laptop again!

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Dead ubuntu II, a new issue

There are a lot of things that can cause that error, faulty dfisks or drives are the obvious ones, DMA sometimes needs to be disabled, but by far the most common cause is faulty memory.
    Try reseating the memory, or if you have 2 sticks, try it with one, etc.
    The sig between the asterisks is SO COOL that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm running a bunch of memory tests at present, I think your probably right with that. Ill look in to trying to reset the memory regardless of the result of the memory test. Is there a standard way of doing this? I'm assuming itll be specific to my laptop - some kind of configure/setup thing when booting up...

Ill look into it

Cheers for response though

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ah memory test came back fine, and I mis read your comment - reSEAting the memory...

This laptop hasnt done much at all recently movement wise so I dont think its likely this is the problem. I will try it though just to be sure.