Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving a file or copying it to another folder help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Question Moving a file or copying it to another folder help

Hey guys, just wondering how can I move a file to another folder. Say a picture, from "Picture" folder to "Music" folder. Also how can I just copy the same file between folders. I did this in Windows xP for organizing my music/pictures a lot. I would either right click the mouse over the file/folder or on the side of the window there were usually the commands there (move/copy). I searched in ubuntu and then forums couldn't find anything. Thanks a bunch guys

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Moving a file or copying it to another folder help

Uhm ?

On Jaunty here, Cut and Copy are available when right-clicking files and folders. I don't remember exactly but I do believe it hasn't changed since Hardy (at least).

At worst, you can still use the same keyboard shortcuts as in Windows (Ctrl+X to cut or Ctrl+C to copy, then Ctrl+V to paste).
    This is the first age that's paid much attention to the future, which is a little ironic since we may not have one.
    -- Arthur C. Clarke

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Code:
    cp /source/path /destination/path
    mv /source/path /destination/path

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Smile Re: Moving a file or copying it to another folder help

Thanks guys Mornedhel that pretty much solves my copying files issue. I guess "moving files" a la windows is actually just copying to destination folder and then deleting the original file?

Hey Celauran, can you give me an example using those codes. Say if I want to move a picture titled "pic173" from pictures folder to music folder. Would this be the correct way of typing the code into terminal:

mv /source/home/name/Pictures/pic173/destination/home/name/Music/pic173

I appreciate your help guys thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Code:
    mv ~/Pictures/pic173  ~/Music/pic173
    Also beware linux is case sensitive, the ~ character signifies home. Saves a lot of typing eh.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adventure man View Post
    Hey guys, just wondering how can I move a file to another folder. Say a picture, from "Picture" folder to "Music" folder. Also how can I just copy the same file between folders. I did this in Windows xP for organizing my music/pictures a lot. I would either right click the mouse over the file/folder or on the side of the window there were usually the commands there (move/copy). I searched in ubuntu and then forums couldn't find anything. Thanks a bunch guys
    Don't forget, you should be to drag and drop as well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Smile Re: Moving a file or copying it to another folder help

thanks philinux, works like a charm. Hopefully in some future build somehow "move" can be incorporated with copy when right clicking the mouse

@commander_keen - yeah i was doing that for a while, just wanted to broaden my knowledge base on moving and copying files LOL
    Last edited by adventure man; June 2nd, 2009 at 07:59 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

thanks philinux, works like a charm. Hopefully in some future build somehow "move" can be incorporated with copy when right clicking the mouse

@commander_keen - yeah i was doing that for a while, just wanted to broaden my knowledge base on moving and copying files LOL
    Drag the file/directory with middle mouse button and you'll get a popup window asking if you want to copy, move or link it..

Beans

I have copy/paste on right-click? Also CTRL+C and CTRL+V works great?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hopefully in some future build somehow "move" can be incorporated with copy when right clicking the mouse
    Moving files is the same as cut then paste (copying files is copy then paste).

As other posters mentioned, you can also drag and drop files and folders from one Nautilus (the file explorer) to another, or you can use the mv command in a terminal.
    This is the first age that's paid much attention to the future, which is a little ironic since we may not have one.
    -- Arthur C. Clarke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast