Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make U(K,X)buntu to look like WinXP

Beans

Re: How to make U(K,X)buntu to look like WinXP

i can almost understand a windows theme, but pretending to have IE ? why?
    Check out my little app. Tnote

Beans

agreed, some people just aren't ready to let go altogether. it probably has IE installed in wine. not a problem as he already has them using firefox.

Beans

yeah um
    i would ask them first to switch to ubuntu
    non-hardcore computer users wouldn't mind as long as things are in the same places
    so i would just change the panel at the bottom to emulate a windows taskbar by moving the applications stuff to the bottom as well as desktop and a few useful icons for quicklaunch and then put the volume stuff where they go
    if stuff is close to where they are in xp then i think they wont really mind

Beans

I have always stated that the main issue for Windows refugees is that it has to make sense not act like windows. most people will accept it if it works and is fairly easy to figure out. here is my Gnome desktop in it's current configuration. doesn't look at all like Xp but wouldn't be hard to figure out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

You can also try Installing a docklet instead And customise it with their most common programs.

Check out my desktop

I hate using windows XP because of how it looks
    Sony Viao - 2.4 Ghz pentium 4, 1Gig DDR, nVidia 8400GS, 80 gig master drive, 320 gig slave, Asus Xonar D1
    Quote Originally Posted by aimpau View Post
    Microsoft - Creating the need, Linux - Creating the solution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Fzang View Post
    Why do you want to move them to linux? Is it because you don't like windows? Is your family complaining about windows? You shouldn't push anyone to linux if they don't need it.

edit: I'm not flaming. I just want you to ask yourself these questions.
    Fzang, my desktop is an "old" AMD Athlon 64 with 3 GB RAM and dual SATA disk (250 GB x 2). I quote the word OLD because , it is old for Microsoft standard.
    It has become so slow you can get a cup of coffee and a bagel while it bootstraps or switches among profiles.
    This does not happen when I startup from the ubuntu partition (yes, I already put it on it!).
    I clean up periodically the WinXP registers, defragment the disk and already have reinstalled WinXP twice but every time it gets to the same slow speed after it digests all the Win updates (from SP2 ->SP3).
    Everybody in my family complains about it so they are willing to give a try to linux if "it's not complicated"
    I cannot afford to buy a new PC just because "Window is slow"

Cheers

palmer

Beans
    Distro

3startuna, i can only agree with you.
    My laptop runs Ubuntu/AWN and does not look like Xp at all , but the family.... Let's show them the easy way out of the Microsoft pitfall and I am sure soon they will not regret it.

Thanks to all for your suggestion, I will try the Xfce or the one suggested by switch10 ( http://ubuntu.online02.com/node/14) I am more familiar to gnome.

Thanks again

palmer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by pcolamar View Post
    Fzang, my desktop is an "old" AMD Athlon 64 with 3 GB RAM and dual SATA disk (250 GB x 2). I quote the word OLD because , it is old for Microsoft standard.
    It has become so slow you can get a cup of coffee and a bagel while it bootstraps or switches among profiles.
    This does not happen when I startup from the ubuntu partition (yes, I already put it on it!).
    I clean up periodically the WinXP registers, defragment the disk and already have reinstalled WinXP twice but every time it gets to the same slow speed after it digests all the Win updates (from SP2 ->SP3).
    Everybody in my family complains about it so they are willing to give a try to linux if "it's not complicated"
    I cannot afford to buy a new PC just because "Window is slow"

Cheers

palmer
    I noticed the same thing when i did my switch.

For some reason Windows runs extremly slow on my computer
    Sony Viao - 2.4 Ghz pentium 4, 1Gig DDR, nVidia 8400GS, 80 gig master drive, 320 gig slave, Asus Xonar D1
    Quote Originally Posted by aimpau View Post
    Microsoft - Creating the need, Linux - Creating the solution

Beans
    Distro

UPDATE -- Re: How to make U(K,X)buntu to look like WinXP

I feel I have to share my experience with all of you after 4 month of mocking up Linux like WinXP.

To make a long story short, the family has swittched over definetively.
    It's almost 1 month the Windows partition has not be used at all

The visible increase of speed and stability of the "old" PC running Linux has won their confidence handsdown.
    Even my 2.5 years old boy is playing now with the "Gcompris" application (http://gcompris.net/-en-

With time , I will try to move them away from the Win XP look, Cairo (I prefer it on AWN) will help me on that.

Thanks again to all of you for your help.

Palmer
    Last edited by pcolamar; October 12th, 2009 at 08:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: [SOLVED] How to make U(K,X)buntu to look like WinXP

I use Ultimate Edition,which is built on Linux. I use one of preinstalled themes that looks ALOT like XP!
    UE also has TONS of software installed. LOTS of games and other apps!! You might want to investigate it furthur http://ultimateedition.info/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast