Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: File sharing in ubuntu & windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: File sharing in ubuntu & windows

Sharing the folder works just fine. Can't we just do something for the drives? Thanks a million times Mr. Dmizer, if only I knew your real name!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

People call me dmizer in real life . The "mr." isn't necessary

I think the problem your experiencing is actually a good thing. Security wise, it's terrible to share entire drives. You're much better off dedicating single folders to file shares. If you want an entire drive to be dedicated to sharing, then share the first folder on the drive and put everything else inside it like so:

D:/ddrive-shared/Music
    D:/ddrive-shared/Movies
    D:/ddrive-shared/Pictures
    D:/ddrive-shared/Documents
    D:/ddrive-shared/Other
    etc

Then you can share the "ddrive-shared" folder and all it's contents.

Beans
    Distro

Yes will surely take a note of it. Thanks a zillion times for the help you've provided. Let me know if there is annything else that I should take into account here.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pramathesh View Post
    Yes will surely take a note of it. Thanks a zillion times for the help you've provided. Let me know if there is annything else that I should take into account here.
    I have no idea what else you should take into account as I don't even own a Windows computer

Glad we got things going for you though.

Beans
    Distro

I would haved chucked windows too. But just that I can't get the gaming bug out of me. One more thing I'd like to ask here is, is it possible to auto mount all the network drives on the desktop rather then me having to click in network and do all the thingy manually....

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pramathesh View Post
    I would haved chucked windows too. But just that I can't get the gaming bug out of me. One more thing I'd like to ask here is, is it possible to auto mount all the network drives on the desktop rather then me having to click in network and do all the thingy manually....
    I don't recall (I don't use Gnome). There's probably a "send to" link available upon right clicking on the folders.

Alternatively, you could hard mount them in fstab and they would automatically appear and disappear when available/unavailable. If you'd like to look into making that work, please see the 2nd link in my sig.

It's more work, but the rewards are worth it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123