Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: File sharing in ubuntu & windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: File sharing in ubuntu & windows

I've folllowed this
    1. Find out the 'Workgroup' your windows computer(s) are on

a. Right click computer on start menu (vista) or my computer (xp) and select properties

b. Workgroup is listed in section 'Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings'

2. Install samba on ubuntu, sudo apt-get install samba
    3. Edit smb.conf to reflect your proper workgroup name found on windows machine, restart samba

a. gksudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf

b. sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart

4. Create a samba user and password

a. sudo smbpasswd -a <YOUR_USERNAME>

b. this will prompt you to create a pasword for the user

Your computer should be recognized on the network now, use your windows login credentials to access windows shares, and your smbpasswd login info you created for windows-to-linux connections.

In nautilus (file browser) you can easily right click the folder and select 'Sharing options' granted you have the correct file permissions for the folder you wish to share. Anything under the home directory should be easily shared. When you create your first shared file it may prompt to install packages required for sharing, make sure you follow through.

Mentioned by mattgyver83
    over here
    as of now I see ROAD-RUNNER in my network but still the same error persists i.e Failed to retreive share list from server

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Distro

You need to make sure that your share's permissions are set to read and write by all users, or specifically by a Samba user account that has the same name as the client's user account. Your users need to have Unix user accounts AND Samba user accounts.

If your server is Ubuntu, then you can install the "system-config-samba" package which makes it easy for you to create new Samba users and change the properties of shares.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

I've put nothing to share from Ubuntu all I want to do is copy paste stuff from my laptop to the desktop. Samba has got the same username password as my laptop. Windows share has rights to read, write and execute. I can see print share too. But then there's no printer here. Why can't I see the files that I've put to share from windows. In fact all my drives have been shared including windows C: too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Beans
    Distro

Wow this link of yours Mr. Dmizer brot me a step closer I can now see the drives I've shared asa again it is so close yet so far. I see drives with a $ behind it and w/o a $ behind it. If I hit the drive with $ behind it, it asks for a password, which I don't have (assuming it is asking for windows credentials). The windows account name is Administrator. If I happen to hit the drive without the $ sign it tells failed to mount windows share. Attaching an image hope it helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

If your trying to connect to Vista, you will not be able to connect to any UAC protected drive/directory. Because of this, sharing the entire drives will not give you access (unlike it did in XP). Believe me when I say ... this is a very good thing. You don't want your entire system hanging out there for all to see.

Share from a folder instead. For example, are you able to browse through the "Public" folder? More information here: http://www.vistax64.com/vista-securi...ss-denied.html
    Last edited by dmizer; June 3rd, 2009 at 05:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Yes I was earlier able to see the public folders. So in other words Mr. Dmizer is it not possible in any ways to browse my partitioned drives? Which in my case is D:, E:, F:, G:. I'm on the Administrator a/c plus it's a slipstreamed version of Vista I think I've removed the UAC before installation. But in any case I don't see that popping up on me since I'm on the Administrator a/c. Won't this be of any help!?
    Last edited by pramathesh; June 3rd, 2009 at 06:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I think we need to work my the Vista machine now. I don't think Ubuntu is being a pain in the butt now. But I wonder what to do with it. May be hit Henrry Gates with it..... :rofl:

Beans
    Distro

In public folder I can't paste anything from my laptop =((

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast