Thread: General help question

Beans

General help question

ok, this isn't necessarily about Ubuntu or anything, but I figure since there's a General Help topic and I've taken a liking to this forum, that'd it'd be ok to post here anyway...

so I got a new DVD drive....while installing it in my case I accidentally pulled out a couple wires from my psu(d'oh).... so I replace it with one I already had, and when I plugged it into an outlet, I saw a small spark in the outlet (uh oh). so I turn it on....lights are on, fans are going, CD/DVD drives opening and closing (good sign). So I unplug it, finish connecting everything, close the case, plug it in, plug in the monitor and turn it on...... lights are on, fans are going, CD/DVD drives can open and close.....but no signal is going to the monitor (damn).

I decide the cheapest thing to replace would be the psu, so I bought a new one, installed it, plugged everything in....same thing, lights, fans, drives, but no monitor (damn).... I decide to hook a laptop to the monitor to see if its my monitor.....nope, monitor works on laptop..... I tried connecting my computer to a different monitor, still no signal. (damn!)

so I've basically decided that its my motherboard that's fried and was wondering if people agree or if anyone has any other suggestions.....

also I'd like to know if my cpu has possibly fried and if there's any way of knowing that, cause I don't know if that's also a possibility and I don't wanna pay $150 + for something I don't need.

thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: General help question

You owned yourself by killing you mainboard.

Start over buddy sorry lesson learned.

CPU , no not unless you have another mainboard to test it with , just go for those cheap AMD 5300+ Asus combo's at newegg. like 90 bucks.
    "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
    -Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Beans

yea, I figured that...

I'm not even sure how I could've prevented it :-/ oh well.... **** happens

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Video card?
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

no, I meant how to prevent the shock when I plugged it into the outlet

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by tommah04 View Post
    so I got a new DVD drive....while installing it in my case I accidentally pulled out a couple wires from my psu(d'oh).... so I replace it with one I already had, and when I plugged it into an outlet, I saw a small spark in the outlet (uh oh). so I turn it on....lights are on, fans are going, CD/DVD drives opening and closing (good sign). So I unplug it, finish connecting everything, close the case, plug it in, plug in the monitor and turn it on...... lights are on, fans are going, CD/DVD drives can open and close.....but no signal is going to the monitor (damn).

I decide the cheapest thing to replace would be the psu, so I bought a new one, installed it, plugged everything in....same thing, lights, fans, drives, but no monitor (damn).... I decide to hook a laptop to the monitor to see if its my monitor.....nope, monitor works on laptop..... I tried connecting my computer to a different monitor, still no signal. (damn!)

so I've basically decided that its my motherboard that's fried and was wondering if people agree or if anyone has any other suggestions.....

also I'd like to know if my cpu has possibly fried and if there's any way of knowing that, cause I don't know if that's also a possibility and I don't wanna pay $150 + for something I don't need.

thanks in advance
    Is your video card integrated or plug in type ?