Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to open .vsd file in Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Angry How to open .vsd file in Ubuntu 8.04

Kindly let me know how to open Microsoft Visio (.vsd) file in Ubuntu 8.04.
    Regards,
    atish Sihi

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: How to open .vsd file in Ubuntu 8.04

I don't think there's any perfect solution. Though this might help, it looks like it might be some work.

Beans

Weird enough, yesterday, I've been searching for a way to do that myself (except that I'm running 9.04).
    Anyway, I didn't find a way to do that directly. Only workaround that I found was this:
    - Convert the .vsd file to .vdx using this site. It took them a good 15 hours to actually send me the converted file, I'm not sure if that's normal or if there was any kind of issues this time. I asked the people I'm working with to use vdx files directly to save me the hassle and I'm going to install Visio on a VM in case they forget to do that.

- Now you can open that file using Dia. It's available in Jaunty's repos, not sure about Hardy's but if it's not you can download it from the link.

I hope this helps.

(By the way, I did look into SK1 (linked in previous post) yesterday but couldn't get it to open .vsd files).
    Last edited by jou770d; June 1st, 2009 at 07:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by atish.sihi View Post
    Kindly let me know how to open Microsoft Visio (.vsd) file in Ubuntu 8.04.
    Regards,
    atish Sihi
    Ordinarily, you could install Wine and use it to install Visio and use that to open the file, but the only versions of Visio listed in the CodeWeavers application compatibility database are old versions (2003 and prior) and they have low ratings (silver and bronze).

So, it looks like your best option would be to do the file conversion previously mentioned.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    So, it looks like your best option would be to do the file conversion previously mentioned.
    I concur.

While at school I have had to work with several I-only-use-Office-07 students. They wouldn't even save to .doc format, they insisted on .docx, which was a nightmare for me since OpenOffice.org was at the time far from being able to render them properly. Obviously, they also used Visio for everything.

I tried coaxing them into converting to plain-XML Visio (the aforementioned vdx). I tried running Visio (why no, a legit copy, my school had an MSDNAA program) through Wine. In the end what worked best was a Visio install in a fresh Windows XP running within a Virtualbox virtual machine.
    This is the first age that's paid much attention to the future, which is a little ironic since we may not have one.
    -- Arthur C. Clarke

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mornedhel View Post
    I concur.

While at school I have had to work with several I-only-use-Office-07 students. They wouldn't even save to .doc format, they insisted on .docx, which was a nightmare for me since OpenOffice.org was at the time far from being able to render them properly. Obviously, they also used Visio for everything.

I tried coaxing them into converting to plain-XML Visio (the aforementioned vdx). I tried running Visio (why no, a legit copy, my school had an MSDNAA program) through Wine. In the end what worked best was a Visio install in a fresh Windows XP running within a Virtualbox virtual machine.
    That works as well. But, personally, I prefer to keep my contact with windows as minimal as possible when I have the choice. But I see why you would prefer the VM in your case since your "team" aren't planning on being helpful.

Plus, it seems that the long delay in the online conversion method wasn't the normal delay. I just tried converting another file right now and it only took about 5 minutes (might have something to do with the fact that I tried sending the file as an email attachment to them instead of using the site upload as I did the last time).

Beans

FYI - there is a visio converter that converts *.vsd files to *.vdx. It appears in ubuntu 9.04.

It's called "vsdump" - search for it in synaptics.

Beans

vsdump found in synaptics, installed
    now what?
    vsdump --help will only give me "--help" as OPTION
    but no hint on usage, and doesnt seem to be as easy as
    vsdump MyVisio.vsd NewVisio.vdx

anyone succeeded so far?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yinas View Post
    vsdump found in synaptics, installed
    now what?
    vsdump --help will only give me "--help" as OPTION
    but no hint on usage, and doesnt seem to be as easy as
    vsdump MyVisio.vsd NewVisio.vdx

anyone succeeded so far?
    Check the manual page:
    Code:
    man vsdump
    Seems like the right way to do it is:
    Code:
    vsdump dump [filename]
    And the correct (although unorthodox) way to get help is actually:
    Code:
    vsdump help
    However, I don't seem to have any Visio files around right now, so I couldn't try it out for myself.

If someone gives it a shot, please do post back here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi I just tried his with a visio file I'd like to open.
    Seems to work when you enter command: vsdump dump <filename>
    Creates a nice big folder full of ole files.
    Problem now is i don't know what to open the files with!
    I presume it's xml - but what graphics program understands that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast