Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DBus error org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor.Failed:An operation is already pending

Beans

Re: DBus error org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor.Failed:An operation is already pen

I have exactly the same problem as of two days ago (Nov 4th). Can't boot from usual volume, can't mount my boot drive. Desperately looking for a solution. Not sure what happened, the system seemed to spontaneously reboot during the night and died. Ubuntu 10.10, fully patched.

Beans

Re: DBus error org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor.Failed:An operation is already pen

Quote Originally Posted by frederik.nnaji View Post
    i have the same error message when trying to mount my recently unbootable system partition.

i have seperate partitions for windows, linux, linux swap and linux home on my computer.

for the past couple of days i was forced to boot from pendrives, since my system partition is inaccessible.

e2fsck asks me if perhaps the filesystem might be in use by another application exlusively, or whether the partition is mounted, i.e. fsck fails also.

no way to mount this partition?
    Same problem here. Also the bootable flag of my Linux partition seems to be gone when I "fdisk -l"
    I'm on ubuntu 10.10, packard bell EasyNote LM laptop.
    Also Windows doesn't start normally; I get the repair modus there.
    Last edited by marjo; November 13th, 2010 at 10:24 PM.

Beans

Angry Re: DBus error org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor.Failed:An operation is already pen

I'm from Costa Rica, my first language is spanish, please correct my mistakes. I'm a new user too, so...
    I have the same problem. Ubuntu was working well, someday i turned on my computer and it doesn't work anymore. My grub shows all the version of the kernel but when i select one doesn't boot a terminal or something like that. When i use a liveCD, i can't mount my file system, when i try, it shows just the same message from the title. Please help me, I really want the information in my hard disc and i don't wanto to use PhotoRec because it's very annoying to select one by one each file, including the ones from google crhome cache...

Beans

I had this problem the other night and found this thread. Plug the flash drive in and nautilus knows it's there, but won't open it. Gparted couldn't see it either; in fact, gparted wouldn't complete its devices scan with the flash drive installed.

My situation might be a little different because the flash drive was formatted to ext4, but here's how I solved it:
    • Open gconf-editor, go to apps>nautilus>preferences and uncheck media_automount and media_automount_open
    • Plug in flash drive
    • In terminal, sudo lshw to identify the device (in this case it showed up as /dev/sdb)
    • In terminal, e2fsck -f /dev/sdb1

This recovered the journal on the flash drive's ext4 filesystem and rendered it properly readable again. You'll want to undo your gconf-editor changes when you're finished.

Beans

Re:I SOLVED IT!

I figured out how to stop ubuntu from thinking the kindle is a digital audio device by default. Instead, it will just think it's a removable disk drive. .

Here's what I did:

* open a terminal window (applications/accessories/terminal)
    * type: cd /lib/udev/rules.d <press enter>
    * cp 40-usb-media-players.rules 40-usb-media-players.save <press enter>
    * sudo gedit 40-usb-media-players.rules <press enter>
    * search for "kindle" - you should get a line that looks like this:

ATTRS{idVendor}=="1949" , ATTRS{idProduct}=="0001|0002|0003|0004" , ENV{ID_MEDIA_PLAYER}="amazon_kindle"

* just go to the beginning of that line and insert # and a space, so the line is:

# ATTRS{idVendor}=="1949" , ATTRS{idProduct}=="0001|0002|0003|0004" , ENV{ID_MEDIA_PLAYER}="amazon_kindle"

* save the file
    * exit the editor
    * exit the terminal
    * reboot

Now when you plug in your Kindle it should mount it so it looks like a disk drive.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mash909 View Post

3. ran
    Code:
    sudo mount -t ext3 -o rw,users /dev/sdf1 /media/usb-backup
    Hello,

After the same error (as the first post), I have seen your message and done this command : sudo mount -t ext3 -o rw,users /dev/sdf1 /media/<harddiskName>
    Without verify what the command do.
    I've seen that the disk have been mounted, but withou anything inside.
    So I umounted it by "right click, safety remove drive" and mounted it on my Macbook and yes it was confirmed, everything have gone (it asked me to use the disk for time machine, as a Mac do for all the new empty plugged disks)

Then I mounted back on my linux machine, to try a "sudo umount -t ext3 -o rw,users /dev/sdf1 /media/<harddiskName>" but the HDD was not detected anymor, even by disk utility (on linux and mac).

Have you got an idea about what happend ?

Thank you.

ps: it seems not that I am very disappointed, but I am...

Beans

I recently happened this to me but with my entire hard disk someone can tell me how can i do to fix it, i see the thing about the usb but i not sure what commands i have to use to fix it

I wait the early answer
    Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Hi, lots of results and many SOLVED for (other than just the Ubuntu results):
    Code:
    dbus error org.gtk.private.remotevolumemonitor.failed an operation is already pending
    .. I get the same on 12.04 Precise, but only sometimes and my (Primary) Windows partitions can mount regardless. Perhaps a Google query for the string can provide a quick fix for those who can't mount theirs. :)

P.S.
    In Xfce 4.8, since I'm on Xubuntu, Alt+F4 will behave differently than going through the menu Shut down. The dialog looks different, too. I believe that currently only restarting with Alt+F4 actually respects the setting to not save the session, so rebooting that way should clear any mount errors (check whether your session is being saved on restart).
    Z68A-G43 (G3) - i7-3770 - Vengeance 2x4GB 2133MHz - GTX 650 Gainward - WD 1TB 64MB SATA - Win7 Pro/64 SP1 / Saucy Xfce AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ka55o5 View Post
    Hi, lots of results and many SOLVED for (other than just the Ubuntu results):
    Code:
    dbus error org.gtk.private.remotevolumemonitor.failed an operation is already pending
    .. I get the same on 12.04 Precise, but only sometimes and my (Primary) Windows partitions can mount regardless. Perhaps a Google query for the string can provide a quick fix for those who can't mount theirs.

P.S.
    In Xfce 4.8, since I'm on Xubuntu, Alt+F4 will behave differently than going through the menu Shut down. The dialog looks different, too. I believe that currently only restarting with Alt+F4 actually respects the setting to not save the session, so rebooting that way should clear any mount errors (check whether your session is being saved on restart).
    So what did you do to fix it? I'm running 12.04 xubuntu and i get that same string the first time i mount any of my partitions, including my home folder. i don't understand what the difference is between saving session or not, other than that saving the session seems to hold my keyboard settings.

I found this idea on archlinux forums, and it's specifically for xfce 12.04 and thunar:
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic....83483#p1183483
    Last edited by Ian Clark; January 15th, 2013 at 02:08 AM. Reason: found possible solution

Beans

I just ran into this problem. I found a quick solution by accident. To find out where it was mounted by using:

dmesg | egrep hd.\|sd.

I then ended up being able to open the usb drive without a problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12