Thread: Help please!

Beans

Angry Help please!

Help! I downloaded Ubuntu thru Wubi. How do I get to it? Only way I know I actually have it is thru my REVO uninstaller program but I cannot open it from there. Windows search does not find the file. Nothing shows in My Documents folders or All Programs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Help please!

Are you attempting to Boot/Run Ubuntu, or Create an Ubuntu Install CD?

If your simply trying to Boot Ubuntu, then restart your machine; you should see a text message during the boot up process asking you what Operating System you would like to use for this session, Ubuntu or Windows. Choose Ubuntu, if all went as planned you should end up at a Gnome Desktop.

If you are trying to locate the Ubuntu ISO that Wubi used to install Ubuntu, just search for
    Code:
    *.iso
    Unless you have a vast and extensive .iso collection, this search should give up where on your computer your Ubuntu CD Image is located.

GL

Beans

I didn't receive any message as to a boot choice as far as I remember. It booted right into XP. I know where the Wubi installer file is. I already did that. I just want to boot into Ubuntu. I'll try to reboot again. thank you for the reply. Dan

Beans

ok..I rebooted and the first screen that came up was black with a small white line in the upper left corner then proceeded to boot into XP. There was no text message.I know I have Ubuntu because the 8 gig's I alloted for it are missing from my C partition.
    Last edited by dansar; June 1st, 2009 at 04:31 PM. Reason: addition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by dansar View Post
    ok..I rebooted and the first screen that came up was black with a small white line in the upper left corner then proceeded to boot into XP. There was no text message.I know I have Ubuntu because the 8 gig's I alloted for it are missing from my C partition.
    Press ESC when you get the black screen with the white line; that "should" bring up a boot menu if memory is serving me correctly (I haven't played with Wubi in a long time)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Be sure to check out these nice tutorials:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

There's supposed to be a menu that allows you to select whether you want to use Windows or Ubuntu when you use Wubi to install it.

Beans

Well..I pressed ESC but it still booted windows. I tried pressing F8 but there was no Ubuntu option. Now I'm wondering if I uninstall Ubuntu will I get my 8 gigs back to C. I'm glad I'm trying this on my old HP. LOL The install went as easy as they said it would. I dont understand why I can't boot into it. Must be a way. Thank you for your replies. Dan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

After you uninstall it, you may need to delete the folders it created on your hard disk to get the 8gigs back. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#How do I uninstall Wubi? Be sure to back up the iso file so that if you want to experiment again or on another machine, you won't have to re-download the disk image again.

GL and have fun.

Beans

Hey.. Thanks guys. I read the tutorial you posted and found the answer. control panel>system>advanced>startup/recovery then checked the box..time to show operating system option. LOL..something like that. Thanks again. Dan