Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this a workaround for ATI radeon under Jaunty??

Beans

Re: Is this a workaround for ATI radeon under Jaunty??

I just took the leap and installed Jaunty anyway on my ATI laptop.

It warned me in big letters that the fglrx driver was not going to be supported, but I took the 'risk' and installed anyway. So now I'm automatically using the free and opensource ATI driver. I must say, I don't notice any difference.

I have always been, and still am, running a full Compiz Fusion setup with full effects (great for propaganda purposes ) and everything works like before - even the benchmark figures are okay. (I don't have the numbers ready since my laptop is at home).

Only one explanation coming to my mind: the free ati driver has been way improved to the point I don't notice any difference anymore.

$0.02

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by sehe View Post

It warned me in big letters that the fglrx driver was not going to be supported, but I took the 'risk' and installed anyway. So now I'm automatically using the free and opensource ATI driver. I must say, I don't notice any difference.

I have always been, and still am, running a full Compiz Fusion setup with full effects (great for propaganda purposes ) and everything works like before - even the benchmark figures are okay. (I don't have the numbers ready since my laptop is at home).

Only one explanation coming to my mind: the free ati driver has been way improved to the point I don't notice any difference anymore.

$0.02
    hmmm... well... maybe I should try the opensource driver again.

I'll get back to you all.
    ...if only there was an UNDO in real life...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by sehe View Post

$0.02
    Hmm, for those who says the opensource drivers work, please state which ATI card/chip you have. The opensource drivers included in Jaunty's livecd displayed the same artifacts (tearing and refresh dust/lines) under default blank and modified xorg.confs. I heard that the rewrite of the opensource drivers have been promising, especially for my card (ATI Mobility Radeon x2300): http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17438 and http://www.digitalself.org/2008/06/1...ri-3d-support/. I might upgrade to Jaunty after hearing this news. However, I'm currently busy writing a paper that I want to submit soon. Not worth tinkering with a working, stable system now.

Beans

I'm using a Radeon x800 and switched to the Open Source driver when I upgraded to Jaunty. And in almost every respect, performance improved. Now, I don't play any 3D games so it might be suffering there, but video plays much more smoothly, without the 'tearing' I got in Intrepid. Also I can have my desktop spinning round on a cube in surreal animated landscape without any noticable problem (not that I do, silly cubes...).

The only problem, which is a little annoying, is that I've lost my maximum resolution, 1920x1080. I get 1400xsomething maximum or 1368 or thereabouts if I want it in widescreen (which of course, I do since I'm using it on my 42" 1080p Aquos).

Beans

I have ATI Radeon X700 "Sapphire" and I cannot even login after upgrade 8.10 to 9.04.
    The login screen is broken and completely frozen, only power button works.
    Perhaps another problem I have is my monitor that is SyncMaster2253bw that has 1680x1050_60 resolution.
    Could somebody advise how to switch to open source or vesa driver under 9.04?
    Many thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12