Thread: Old passworded rar file, recover password

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Old passworded rar file, recover password

I have an old set of RAR files, but I forgot the password. If I do extract here, it does extract, but deletes it at the end since I don't have the password. Is it possible for me to either stop this from happening by either moving the file at the last second (when the extracted file gets to a certain size), or recover the password?

I tried rarcrack, but it gives me "sh: Syntax error: "(" unexpected" while running, and doesn't seem to be doing anything. Any advice would be appreciated.
    "Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah." - Ash J Williams

That works as well as not following every step in a tutorial or walkthrough.

Beans

Re: Old passworded rar file, recover password

Quote Originally Posted by bobbob1016 View Post
    I have an old set of RAR files, but I forgot the password. If I do extract here, it does extract, but deletes it at the end since I don't have the password. Is it possible for me to either stop this from happening by either moving the file at the last second (when the extracted file gets to a certain size), or recover the password?
    The file is deleted because it's still encrypted and useless.

Not too sure of a solution to cracking a rar file though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Old passworded rar file, recover password

Quote Originally Posted by Agent ME View Post
    The file is deleted because it's still encrypted and useless.

Not too sure of a solution to cracking a rar file though.
    Actaully, it isn't encrypted. It played, but only as far as it was unrared.
    "Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah." - Ash J Williams

That works as well as not following every step in a tutorial or walkthrough.