Thread: Backing Up Ubuntu Partition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Backing Up Ubuntu Partition

Anyway to completely backup my ubuntu partition to maybe an image I can save on my windows desktop?

I want to install another OS and have a tri boot, but lats time I tryed it jacked up my older ubuntu partition, making me not able to access it, even tho it showed up on grub boot loader, it load half way then froze and my keyboards light where flashing and was like that till I turn it off.

anyways I dotn want that to happen again so I wanna be able to backup my whole ubuntu partition, not personal data but everything, im new at linux and I worked hard on my ubuntu partition for days and Dont think id remember how to do it again

so anyway guys?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Backing Up Ubuntu Partition

you could try "remastersys" , http://www.geekconnection.org/remast...ersystool.html ....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner2007 View Post
    Anyway to completely backup my ubuntu partition to maybe an image I can save on my windows desktop?

I want to install another OS and have a tri boot, but lats time I tryed it jacked up my older ubuntu partition, making me not able to access it, even tho it showed up on grub boot loader, it load half way then froze and my keyboards light where flashing and was like that till I turn it off.

anyways I dotn want that to happen again so I wanna be able to backup my whole ubuntu partition, not personal data but everything, im new at linux and I worked hard on my ubuntu partition for days and Dont think id remember how to do it again

so anyway guys?
    Did you miss out the word 'just' in the not <> personal data but everything ?

I'm an rsync junkie so would use various combos of rsync to keep a bloated backup copy to hand.
    10 things about binary you should know.
    Some people get it - the rest don't.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mike555 View Post
    +1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You will get a lot of opinions regarding backups. I use two methods. Clonezilla, or Parted Magic's partimage.

You will end up with an image as you requested. If you have any questions as how to do this or how to restore, let me know. I've been using these methods for a long time with total success.

Beans
    Distro

clonezilla and others all good.. it just depends on what you want to do with the end data. Stuff it away in a draw or have bits of files available on demand maybe only to restore part of the data.

Clonezilla will create compressed datafiles for you, you can ssh serve them... but sometimes you can have these large files just hogging your disk and leave you wondering why you kept them.
    10 things about binary you should know.
    Some people get it - the rest don't.