Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Sega

Howdy!

(Background, skip if you want).
    I recently purchased my first new console in a long time (a Nintendo DS Lite), mostly because it has games produced or compatible with it by two of my favorite video game companies: Square Enix and SEGA. Square Enix for the obvious role playing games. I had also played Sonic Rush, and instantly was memorized and reminded of a lot of the original Sonics, mainly with just going fast. And of course it's compatible with two old school remake/collections from the Genesis (Phantasy Star and Shining Force).

I still own and play my Genesis. It has some of my all time favorite Sega franchises, including Shining Force, Sonic The Hedgehog, and Fantasy Star. It also received some well loved multi-platform games like Uncharted Waters: New Horizons and Aerobiz Supersonic.

Then SEGA released several failing consoles in a row (although producing more well liked characters (Nights) and continuing others. Unfortunately, after the Dreamcast, SEGA went officially to a software-only company. And since then, they seem to not be doing as well software wise. The Shining series has gone as a passable action-rpg, Phantasy Star left it's RPG roots to become a more online gameplay, and Sonic (on consoles) has turned into somewhat of a joke in the video game arena.

So, to the point of this thread. Do you like SEGA as a company, or any of it's franchises? What do you think SEGA should do, moving forward. What would you like to see from SEGA coming up in the next few years? And why are we seeing Sonic in a bunch of sports titles?

What do you think?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Sega

I like SEGA as a publisher than a hardware vendor (which ends up being more hype than its worth). As far as Sonic goes they dropped the ball (or jumped the shark rather) with Sonic Adventure. I'm on the retro-side of the split, though I do really like Sonic Heroes, only for not being Adventure (tedious exploration, repetitiveness and an unnecessary Chao Garden)

Considering the SEGA fans here i'm surprised no one has gone and created a Member group for that.
    Last edited by CharmyBee; June 1st, 2009 at 12:57 AM.
    I USE THIS SMILEY because im a rocker!!! \m/ pantara and nerveina roles!

also yo-yo ma is great.

Beans

i think the problem with sega is the hard ware was always more expensive, although better imo.
    i think as far as games were concerned they definitely made some good games, the only problem is alot of them seemed to be arcade ports so very short, and the rest seemed to be very under rated.
    Check out my little app. Tnote

Beans

I liked Sega much better when they were a hardware company. They had kind of a bad run with the Saturn (which I never owned), but I love the Master System, Genesis, and Dreamcast. They just lack the quantity of really good games that other consoles have/had.

Plus, I don't think they've made a good Sonic game since the 90's. I mean, come the hell on, 'Sonic Unleashed?' Give me a break.
    Word.
    More Word.
    Maximum Wordage.

Beans
    Hidden!

"Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood" is pretty good i think, the stylis combos can be bit too fast at times but meh.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

the sega dreamcast is still my fave of all time. i have the one that i bought on launch day STILL working, and two brand new ones unopened in the box

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by pwnst*r View Post
    the sega dreamcast is still my fave of all time. i have the one that i bought on launch day STILL working, and two brand new ones unopened in the box
    I've always wanted a dreamcast but was to expensive for my parents to get back then. But atlas it didn't get the attention it deserved! Oh well your games at least will live on via emulators. *sheds a tear above a coffin with a dreamcast in it*
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I really like PS3 version of Sonic. It got bad reviews but the graphics are really nice.
    ndrw.me | Twitter
    Ubuntu + Vista | Dell Vostro 1500 | C2D 1.4GHz | 2GB | 120GB | nVidia 8400m GS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

SEGA!

Im hardcore Sega :D

I have Dreamcast, Saturn, Megadrive/MegaCD(had since I was 4!) and a crap load of games. I buy loads of Japanese Dreamcast/Saturn games off eBay.

Shenmue FTW! ;D

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MasterNetra View Post
    "Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood" is pretty good i think, the stylis combos can be bit too fast at times but meh.
    Dark Brotherhood almost redeemed Sonic and Sega, but Sonic Unleashed GAH!

I think Sega sucks, the Genesis and the Dreamcast were their best consoles but they both were easily beaten by the likes of Nintendo and Sony.
    Sonic and Phantasy Star were its two greats but now both are jokes of thier former selves.
    These days I more favor Nintendo overall
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast