Thread: Weirdness with my laptop's optical drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Weirdness with my laptop's optical drive.

Hi. I have been in several laptops and one thing I noticed is that the optical drive starts having problems burning media after some months (it was 3 years in the case of my first laptop) of having gotten the laptop, and wanted to know. Has any one of you had similar problems with laptop optical drives in general? And what can cause those problems?
    "Some people says that if you run a Microsoft Midori iso backwards you will hear demon voices commanding you to worship Satan". But that's nothing. If you run it forward it will install Microsoft Midori.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Re: Weirdness with my laptop's optical drive.

My old laptop has some major issues with the CD drive. First it won't read DVDs anymore. If I put a DVD in it doesn't even recognize anything is in there at all. Second it even has problems reading from regular CDs. I found that if I slam the tray in hard enough it works correctly with regular CDs. Though lately that doesn't seem to work anymore. Getting a live CD to boot on this thing seems to be a lot of trouble. The CD drive is almost completely dead.

I have no clue what causes these problems. I guess it just went bad.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

It's probably a dirty or mis-aligned laser lens or something of that sort that is causing the problems in both cases. CD/DVD drives are very much precision instruments and the tiniest fraction of mis-alignment of the disk or lens can cause these problems; I've even had it on a brand new drive once. It would read most disks and have no problems, but it would never boot from just some DVDs or CDs. It was changed straight away by the computer maker (a small local shop, not a big manufacturer) and no more problems.

You could try a lens/drive cleaner disk if you haven't already done so, but don't expect miracles.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would stay away from any cd drive cleaning disks, as I have seen quite a few cd/dvd drives ruined by cleaning disks. In the case of laptop drives, the lens is easy enough to get at, I always use a cotton swap and distilled water to clean laser lenses.

I have has simmaler issues with the optical drive on my laptop, it will often refuse to eject a disk and it is a nightmare to get a live CD to boot. However I virtually never use optical media any more so it isn't a problem.
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My second cd drive won't burn anything. Windows or linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

No laptop DVD+/-RW drive I've found can actually erase a disk. They simply whir for 10 minutes and reject the disk.
    Lucid Beta 2 powered Studio 15 (Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 3 GB RAM, HD 3450) & Windows XP powered Scaleo E (Celeron D 3.06GHz, 1.5GB RAM, Intel GMA 915G). Please see Ubuntu Tutorials (my YouTube channel).