Thread: Lori's Tear - Epic Platform Game, help needed, recruiting team

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Lori's Tear - Epic Platform Game, help needed, recruiting team

Main project page

Please see the main project page for more updates like concept art sketches, links, WIP (Work In Progress) screenshots, discussion etc.

Hi : ]

As a great fan of Games, I've been studying Blender for some time now with game development in mind. I'm still just a beginner to 3D and Blender/BGE, but i want to test everything I'm studying. Sooner or later i would make Games, and i feel prepared to begin my first one now. For sure i want to start simple, I'll start with a Platform one, since Platform and RPG are my favorite genres. But like i said, I'm just in the beginning of my learning, therefore, I'll begin with a Platform game, because it's less complicated than RPGs. My motivation to study Blender is to understand it and be able to use it and understand how to do Games with it, but my passion is Administration and Game Design, that's what I'm really good at. Probably I'll never be a great mesh modeler or animator, cause i enjoy Administration more and I'll focus on that. Of course, I'll continue to study and improve my Blender skills.

So, i want to form a team, cause "lots of heads think better and faster than one single head."

My role in the project is administrative, but are not limited to it:
    • Game Designer
    • Director
    • Team Leader

I'll eventually need and want to contribute in mesh modeling, animation and etc as much as I'm able to.

It's very hard to start i tread like this, cause looks like I'm asking "Do a game for me, for free". And that's not the idea. Since I'm here to learn and work together with the team. Administration is not more important that mesh modeling, or shading etc, it's equal, we're a team, every single role is major for the success of the project.

I wish i could start with a WIP tread with a cool game partially done, but it would take me many-many years, that's why I'm seeking for help to form a team, it will be more faster and effective. I'll show my commitment and my goals, I'll describe and show below, everything I've done so far for the game, also the vacancies on team jobs. And of course, my administrative team organization can be wrong, useless or miss-presented/nonsense, but i can change anything and adapt to a better workflow, just say it.

My goals in simple lines:
    • Create the first 3 game levels, focus only on these. They not big, are fairly simple to do. The thing is that they should be at least beautiful. Of course, no need for HDR/Bloom and GLSL for now, we not trying to make the next Crysis, just a good and enjoyable game.
    • The focus is to do these 3 levels, work hard on it and release a DEMO.
    • Continuation of the project will be based on feedback, and if we, developers, are satisfied with the DEMO final result and want to push the game development further.
    • Real time Cinematics/Cutscenes. Again, no need to be a Metal Gear movie, we doing simple, so just good animated characters, good camera angles to make a decent real time animation will do very well.
    • Texture and lighting should be focused.
    • Motion Blending should be dealt with care and attention, for the player doesn't feel like he/she are controlling a brick instead of a character.

The main motive for me to start this tread is that I'm not a good 2D artist, therefore, i can't do proper Concept Art, what is a must to start any game. If i could Concept Art i would simple do the first level of the game and post a WIP tread and ask for help with the subsequent levels. And what i enjoy more is write stories, scripts, organize and work in group. Therefore i need to be part of a team to start this game.

Our Game
    It will be Open Source, initially it will be under a Creative Commons (CC) BY-SA 3.0 Unported license to keep things easy and simple to begin the development, but as soon as the project gain body i will license it under a GPL license.

The minimum requirements to work on this project:
    • Love games, understand games as art.
    • Like or at least understand the Open Source philosophy.
    • Believe (Understand) in Blender as a AAA Games capable.
    • Be able and enjoy work in a team.
    • Not be a biased person. We will be making a multiplatform game, therefore, members will be using different Operating Systems, so, taste and option have to be respected, we not discussing which OS is better, we doing a game not a OS. I use only Ubuntu as OS, and only Open Source tools for the game production, i recommend for others to use free (as in freedom) tools too (not OS), but this is just a recommendation, not a must. The most important thing is to do the game on Blender and BGE, which is multiplatform, free (as in free beer) and Open Source (free as in freedom).

Project
    • Name: Lori's Tear
    • Genre: Third Person Platform Game
    • Targeted OSs: GNU/Linux, Mac OS and Windows.

Sythesized Plot

Velt and Lori are very adventurous brats... they once again disobeyed their Clan rules and their parents advices and got into the Forbidden Hari Waterfall (again...). As always, Lori was near a little garden between the forest and the river, searching for Witchcraft Butterflies (explained below). Velt, was lying down on the grass playing nervously with a bush leaf on his mouth, daydreaming of a life of brave and dangerous adventures. Suddenly, he hear his sister scream and promptly wake up to just see Lori been carried away by strange little spherical creatures with strange Armour and glowing orbs in place of it's bellies. Velt promptly start to run to save his sister, to be abruptly stoped by a terrifying creature like the ones that got his sister, but that one is more tall, larger and resembles a lion. The creature get it's spear with a big blade. Velt have only a wooden stick on his left, on the ground... he grabs it...

And the adventure begins.

Main Characters

Name: Bauran Velt (Young)
    Category: Main Character
    Objective in Life: Protect his sister, Play Wood Swordplay, play with his friends, mud-ball battle with his enemies and capture Witchcraft butterflies for his sister (Secretly collect them, since his Clan rules and the village doesn't allow "evil creatures" like Witchcraft butterflies around the village [bias]).
    Objective in-game: Rescue his kidnapped sister.
    Physical Description:
    • Skin Color: Pinkish
    • Hair Cut: Short but pointy on the right and front.
    • Hair Color: Black
    • Body: Thin
    • Cloths: Bauran Armless Leather Jacket with the Bauran Warrior Sign, protective because of the wild animals on the surrounding forests; Dark Red Blue Shorts; Light Leather Gloves; Wood Base sandals with a big leather strip and buckle to tie it up.
    • Weapon: Wood Stick (In the beginning of the Game)
    Story:
    Born in the high Moj forest, in the Oria Village under the Warrior Sign from the Bauran Clan, Bauran Velt (or just Velt for people that are granted to address him that way; it's Oria Village and Clans rule) is a peaceful and innocent child. He fake bravery in moments of danger that he knows someone will protect him. But he don't know yet how he is truly brave. Velt take good care of his sick sister, Lori. He have deep love for his family, his sister Lori, his mother Lorin and his father Vincent Lor, although his father is very cold in affection, home absent and mysterious in heart and soul, he excuses are that he work to much and are always tired. He work on the Bara Mines. His father is his family's Clan chief, that's why he is granted a full three words length name.

Name: Bauran Lori - (Young)
    Category: Main Character
    Objective in Life: Cure her disease and become a Witch, but her family don't know about the Witch part. She decided it when she was saved by a Witch on the forest, when she was been attacked by a Dark Elf (a cursed Elf race, banned from surface, forced to live on the Abyssal part of the earth, they have black skin because of the curse that burned them, and every newly bord Dark Elf carries that burned color to remember their dept with the world. Dark Elfs was Sun elfs before they ware cursed, but good Sun elf societies still exist) . She got amazed with the kindness and power of the Witch and never imagined that womans could be brave too, in her education only mans can be brave and fight. She then wanted to become a Witch. (Witchs are independent womans that have their own villages and live a more fair life with non-biased males. Usually the world is ruled my mans, and womans are sub-missed to their desires and rules. So free womans are seeing as Witchs. Witchs ever wear black cloths and big hats and are very proficient with Life Force energy [Life Force is the ability to control the elementals of nature like fire, wind, earth and water]).
    Objective in-game: Return home.
    Physical Description:
    • Skin Color: Pinkish
    • Hair Cut: Short, sticked with a butterfly adorn on the left and falling on the right.
    • Hair Color: White
    • Body: Tiny and Thin
    • Cloths: White Bauran Dress with the truncated Warrior Sign, because womans can't be warriors on the Bauran Clan; She walks on foot, no sandals.
    • Weapon: None (In her youth)
    Story:
    Born in the high Moj forest, in the Oria Village, strangely under the Warrior Sign from the Bauran Clan (womans generally are born under the Mother Sign), Bauran Lori is a peaceful and innocent child. But she suffer from a unknown disease that weaken her body. She love purple glowing butterflies known as Witchcraft. Love her family, nature and wild animals. And she have a strange symbiosis with wild animals, she are able to calm them down and interact with them.
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version Name: velt.jpg Views: 30 Size: 67.0 KB ID: 72791 Click image for larger version Name: lori.jpg Views: 21 Size: 54.2 KB ID: 72792 Click image for larger version Name: 08_iv-j.jpg Views: 20 Size: 95.8 KB ID: 72793

Click image for larger version Name: hari_waterfall.jpg Views: 18 Size: 167.5 KB ID: 72794 Click image for larger version Name: hari_waterfall_and_hari_forest_entrance.jpg Views: 17 Size: 177.5 KB ID: 72795

Enemies

Lakamari and Machnas

Machnas
    Physical Description:
    • Color: White
    • Body: Metamorphic; Each Machina resembles a real animal.
    • Armour: Modern technology style.
    • Life Resource: Orb of Dark Force energy
    • Deployed for:
    ∘ By the ancient good Hari: For rational and natural life maintenance and protection.
    ∘ By the current evil Hari people known as Lakamari: Unknown. What is known is that these now corrupted Hari mystic Golens are working mysteriously, and probably for the Occult Ones, and with trace of evil acts, like attacks to villages and murder of people and rare animals.

Lakamari
    Everything about the physical and non-physical Lakamari is unknown.

Story
    Machinas are, now doomed, mystical technological Golens used by the Occult Ones (Lakamari). But was once a good Life Force technology that made the base of the long lost ancient civilizations, led by the good Hari people.
    They are called Occult Ones because there is a say that if their real name (Lakamari) is spoken, it will bring bad luck, disgrace and destruction for the speaker of such profane words.

People from all the world of Av was hoping for the dormant/disappeared Hari to wake up and bring the now chaotic world to it's peace again. But instead, what came recently is a strange and profane "Hari" Machnas. Little is known about the Lakamari itself, aside from it's now puppets Machnas. But the name Lakamari is left writen in blood wherever Machnas forces pass by destroing and killing.

08 - War Battle Unit

Physical Description:
    • Body Shape: Lion
    • Deployed for:
    ∘ By the Hari: Peace Force - Diplomat Unit
    ∘ By the Lakamari: War - Battle Unit
    • Weapon:
    ∘By the Hari: None
    ∘By the Lakamari: Spear with a big blade

00 - Maintenance and Emergence Unit

Physical Description:
    • Body Shape: Spherical
    • Deployed for:
    ∘ General Maintenance
    • Weapon:
    ∘ Maintenance: None
    ∘ Emergence: Hook/Cord/Wire/USB e-01
    • Special Condition: 00s can turn into 01s in time of danger/emergence.

01 - Battle Unit

Physical Description:
    • Body Shape: Spherical
    • Deployed for:
    ∘ Emergence, tweaked by the Lakamari to be a Battle Unit
    • Weapon: Big Claws

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Team and Team responsibilities
    Game Designer, Director and Team Leader
    Me - kernel_script

Concept Artists

Mesh Modelers
    TheWilkie

Texture Artists

Lighting and Shading Artists

Animation Artists
    TheWilkie

Media Engineers

Interface Artists

BGE Artists
    shortlord

Python Scripters
    shortlord

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Of course, not everybody of every role should be found for the project continues, but would be nice. If it's not the case, the empty roles should be distributed throughout the core team.

What is the basic needed to do the game without all these roles?
    • Game Designer
    • Mesh Modeler
    • Texture Artist
    • Animator
    • Python Scripter

Responsibilities of each member of the team

Game Designer
    Create:
    • Main Characters
    • Enemies
    • Characters Concept Art Sketches
    • Scenery Concept Art Sketches
    • Synthesized Plot
    • Development Script
    • Story Board
    • Game Script

Director
    • Coordination of the Game production

Team Leader
    • Coordination of the Game team
    • All the game documentation

Concept Artist
    Create:
    • Main Characters
    • Enemies
    • Maps
    • Scenery
    • Amours
    • Weapons

Mesh Modeler
    Create:
    • Main Characters
    • Enemies
    • Scenery
    • Amours
    • Weapons

Texture Artist
    Create:
    • Textures
    • UV Mapping
    • 2D Maps

Lighting and Shading Artist
    Create:
    • Lighting
    ∘ Lamps
    • Shadow Mapping

Animation Artist
    Create:
    • Animation
    ∘ Non-rendered animation for Game cut-scenes, must be exported as .ogm containers with both audio and video tracks.
    • Motion Blending

Media Engineer
    Create:
    • Ogg Media (Audio, Video and subtitles)
    • Event Sounds
    • Sound Tracks
    • Encode Audio and Video
    • Encode Audio and Video into Containers

Interface Artist
    Create:
    • Game GUIs, Auto Hide and Still HUDs, Menus, Dialog Boxes, Start Screen, Continue Screen and Game Over Screen

BGE Artist
    Create:
    • Logic Bricks
    • Basic Events
    • Basic Logic Brick AI
    • Main Events
    • Put the game together

Python Scripter
    Create:
    • AI
    • Portals
    • Any Platform game aspect not covered by BGE Logic Bricks.

Useful recommended resources

• Third Person Template - By Ange "cray" Andrianavalona
    • Demystifying the Art of Video Games - By Brandon "Dim" Phoenix
    • Jamendo DOT com
    • ccMixter DOT org
    • freesound DOT org

Game Prototype (.blend)

Some primitives to prototype the game first three levels.

Commands:

P: Start the Game
    R: Reset the Game
    W: Go forward
    A: Go left
    D: Go right
    S: Go backward
    Mouse Wheel Down: Look up
    Mouse Wheel Up: Look down
    Spacebar: Jump

If you can't join our team, please contribute as free lancer/contributor

Thank you very much for read until here : ]

If you guys are not feeling in the mood to join the project, you can act as contributor, any help is very welcome: ]

I need mainly of proper Concept Art to be able do a better job on this game, I'm doing it with my sketches anyway, but if you're a Concept Artist and want to help, please do, proper Concept Art is much better than my sketches.

But like i said, any help is very welcome, models, scenery, textures, python code pieces, music, anything : ]

Thank you very much for your attention guys.

All my works here are released under a Creative Commons (CC) BY-SA 3.0 Unported Licence.

Contributors

Much thanks and kudos for these guys:

Almost - Mesh Model: Machnas 00 and 01

WIP done so far (aside this tread documentation):

Meshes
    - Bauran Velt
    - Machna 00 and 01
    Last edited by kernel_script; May 31st, 2009 at 02:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Lori's Tear - Epic Platform Game, help needed, recruiting team

This would get more attention in the Gaming and Leisure Forum

Community Cafe Games is for thread-based forum games.
    |>[HowTo] Bump The BUMP Thread<||>Stats<||>19k<||>23k<||>26k<||>34k<||>37k<||>38k<||>39k<||>40k<|

Quote Originally Posted by lukjad007
    Backups are usually a good thing unless it's a sewer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

just to say GOOD LUCK

hope you will get a nice result in the end...

i would start with a smaller project, if i was you, but then again i'm not

Beans
    Distro

Still looking for an Interface Artist?

I would love to be part of this. Check some of my work at www.iconof.com (mostly web stuff there, but I love designing interfaces) and give me a shout

p.s.: I can also provide web hosting, create the site for the game, etc.

Beans
    Distro

@meborc
    Thanks for the support

@enosis
    Yes, thanks for your interest! I meant creation of interfaces for the game (start screen, menus etc), you're a Blender user? Have a BlenderArtist.org account?
    Last edited by kernel_script; June 7th, 2009 at 02:41 AM.