Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wicd > Network Manager

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Wicd > Network Manager

I've felt like this since I first tried it out, and I consistently come back to it.

-Wicd has an actual window panel that comes up, rather than trying to be a hip little 'daemon' that sits in the task panel. This makes it more useful by displaying more information and being more persistent. You don't really change wireless networks that much, anyway, so bringing up a window isn't an issue.

-Wicd doesn't assume it should automatically connect to ANY wireless network. the user must tell wicd what wireless networks get to have autoconnect privileges.

-Wicd is more informative. It tells the encryption type, if any, and the precise signal strength of a wireless network.

-I was trying to get a good connection in Starbucks yesterday, and whenever I tried loading too many pages at once, the connection would lock up. I tried moving, I tried disabling/enabling wireless, but it kept messing up. On a hunch, I installed wicd and started using that. It fixed my problem.

-Wicd has a refresh network list button, newtorkmanager doesn't. WHAT THE HELL?

Several people have argued this to the Ubuntu devs, and several times they've been told down. Please refresh my memory.
    FireHOL: An amazing, powerful, linux server firewall that is easy to understand, configure, and use!

Check it out if you want a secure Ubuntu Server: sudo apt-get install firehol

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Wicd > Network Manager

Point 2 - nm-applet assumes you want to connect automatically when you add a network, yes... but you can easily uncheck it if you'd like on-demand connections.

Point 3 - nm-applet queries the wireless gateway and determines the encryption for you. You don't have to blindly guess (like in Windows), and it's more user friendly. If you're setting up the wireless connection yourself, there is a dialogue box to select an encryption setting, so it's not like the feature isn't implemented in the GUI.

Point 4 is valid... point 1 is a judgement call. I like hip little daemons

Beans
    Hidden!

The CLI is imo the best way to manage your wifi. If you make yourself some scripts it works wonders.
    Hey, you created me. I didn't create some loser alter-ego to make myself feel better. Take some responsibility! -Tyler Durden, Fight Club

Beans

i like the daemon and i tried wicd in mint 7 and it froze everytime i tried to open it and i like the network manager interface way better

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

To me, WICD and NM work the same, no problem with NM so I'm staying with it. If there ever is a problem, there's always WICD. That's the way I see it.

Blog | I'm available for programming contributions. C & Python.
    Intel Core i7 920 | EVGA x58 SLI | NVidia GeForce 8600 GT | WD 500GB HDD | Corsair XMS3 3GB | Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

wicd is nice, but a bit heavy for my tastes and python's just to slow.

i use a manual network manager when i need to pop around other networks and a script for every day use set up just like it but faster to launch.
    Last edited by kerry_s; June 19th, 2009 at 04:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I first came across WiCD when using Easy Peasy Linux on my Netbook. When connected to a WPA network NM kept on dropping it's network. I installed WiCD and the problem went away, since then I use it on every PC. I too find it more informative, it has a proper network activity tray icon for a start.
    Live in Cornwall? Got a Raspberry PI?
    Cornwall Raspberry Pi Users Group

Beans

wicd is moron-proof.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

never had a problem with nm-applet, except for a few bugs which are caused by my wireless driver rather then nm-applet, and would appear if i used wicd too.

if it ain't broke, don't fix it
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans

most of your complaints seam to be against the gnome gui nm-applet, not NetworkManager.

Personally im not a fan of either, but i like where NetworkManager is heading and it creates few hiccups now (used to be a real PITA) i just hope:
    1) somebody creates a CLI to it
    2) the GUIs advance so that its easy for users to add scripts for NetworkManagerDeamon to launch (e.g i want a "safe"/"unsafe" script to run when i connect to certain hostspots but not other)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast