Thread: Can't boot from LiveUSB

Beans

Angry Can't boot from LiveUSB

Hi, I've downloaded an ISO image of "nUbuntu" as a matter of curiosity, and tried to experiment with it's LiveCD. I'm having trouble booting my PC from a LiveUSB created by Ubuntu's USB Creator application with the ISO image. I tried to do this with a program called UNetBootin too, but without success. My PC can boot with a usb stick, and I've done it before. I select it from the list but it shows a blanks screen, then boots from my hdd on my existing Jaunty installation..any help? Thanks...
    Intel Core i3 540 @ 3.06GHz [3.46+ O.C.] 1GiB INTEL HDA; 4GiB DDR3 1333MHz [1500+ O.C.] ON Intel DH55HC
    -- POWERED BY: ARCHLINUX

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Can't boot from LiveUSB

Maybe check your BIOS settings to see if USB boot is still enabled before the HDD. If it is, try another USB port or a different flash drive. Did you format the thumb drive before you installed the iso? Will it boot on any other PC? Lots of things can go wrong but I don't know them all... good luck.

Beans

i tried this on my computer as well it didnt work the first time but i figured it out.

on my pc, the usb drive was showing up as HDD0-USB
    it was actually in the hard drive section of the boot menu, not the external usb drive section..

i think those are reserved for usb floppys and zip drives..

check that out, you might not even be turning on the correct function to boot from the usb stick.
    the only other thing i can think of is if you have some boot loader on your hard drive it might be taking over, even if its set to be the next drive on the list in the bios.

might need to disable it, or just add the usb sticks kernel to whatever boot loader your using.
    Last edited by aarons6; May 30th, 2009 at 11:08 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pastalavista View Post
    Maybe check your BIOS settings to see if USB boot is still enabled before the HDD. If it is, try another USB port or a different flash drive. Did you format the thumb drive before you installed the iso? Will it boot on any other PC? Lots of things can go wrong but I don't know them all... good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by aarons6 View Post
    i tried this on my computer as well it didnt work the first time but i figured it out.

on my pc, the usb drive was showing up as HDD0-USB
    it was actually in the hard drive section of the boot menu, not the external usb drive section..

i think those are reserved for usb floppys and zip drives..

check that out, you might not even be turning on the correct function to boot from the usb stick.
    the only other thing i can think of is if you have some boot loader on your hard drive it might be taking over, even if its set to be the next drive on the list in the bios.

might need to disable it, or just add the usb sticks kernel to whatever boot loader your using.
    Hi guys, thanks for your replies. Yeah, I formatted the drive before adding the ISO onto it and I did enable the USB Drive to boot before everything else. Normally, it should boot without any user input as the USB Drive is at the top of the list. Nevertheless, I even tried manually selecting a boot device from the BIOS boot menu (by hitting F10) and still it skipped the drive. I can boot from CD alright...it's only the Flash Drive I'm having trouble with. I've even tried forcing the BIOS to boot into the USB drive by removing the other selections from the boot list, but that didn't work at the time. How could I add the flash drive to the GRUB bootloader if it's possible? My guess is, the BIOS doesn't seem to be able to find the required files to boot from the Drive. I'll try a seperate USB port. I'm using one port with a USB extension cable . BTW, my USB drive is shown on the list by it's model tag, (JetFlash T54GJFV30)

UPDATE: OK, I tried it but it didn't work as usual. Either it can't find any files, OR my PC is just not interested in pleasing me
    Last edited by b@sh_n3rd; May 30th, 2009 at 12:02 PM.
    Intel Core i3 540 @ 3.06GHz [3.46+ O.C.] 1GiB INTEL HDA; 4GiB DDR3 1333MHz [1500+ O.C.] ON Intel DH55HC