Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing Microsoft Office 2007 in Ubuntu 8.04/8.10/9.04 using Wine 1.1.12 to 16

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Installing Microsoft Office 2007 in Ubuntu 8.04/8.10/9.04 using Wine 1.1.12 to 16

UPDATED POST: (August 18, 2009)

Since the day of the release of Wine version 1.1.24 the regression issue was resolved and probably future versions (1.1.24+) will do the same.

The guide is just a summary of all the online guides that I have tried and to be honest many of those guides gave me so many headaches for the simple reason, "I'm a newbie to UBUNTU". So I've decided to join in this forum last May 2009 and made a simple guide that's especially made for newbies like me.

Thanks to all the online guides that helped me formulate this simple guide all the credits must be given to all of you..

HERE ARE THE STEPS:

A. WINE CHECK/VERSION CHECK
    -to check if you have installed wine already or check the version of your wine

1. Click Application>Accessories>Terminal
    2. On the Terminal window type ‘wine --version’
    Note:
    1. If you have not installed wine yet you will receive this message The program 'wine' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing: sudo apt-get install wine bash: wine: command not found then you may proceed to STEP D.
    2. If your wine version is 1.1.12 to 1.1.16 or 1.1.24+ then you may proceed to STEP C

B. UNINSTALL WINE
    -If the version of your wine is 1.1.11 below, 1.1.17 to 1.1.23 you will not be able to install MSOffice 2007 due to regression so you have to uninstall this by following the steps:

1. Click System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager
    2. On the Synaptic Package Manager window type ‘Wine” on Search scroll down look for Wine right click on it and click Mark for Complete Removal>Apply>Reload>Close “OR”
    3. Type
      Code:
      sudo apt-get remove wine
      in your terminal window. (I prefer this one because this is faster compared in using Synaptic Package Manager)
    C. DELETE WINE FOLDER
    - this step will delete your wine folder which means all programs you installed through wine will also be deleted.

1. Click Places>Home Folder press CTRL+H to unhide .wine folder and press delete or type
      Code:
      rm -rf ~./wine
      in your terminal window.
    D. INSTALL WINE
    - Wine is a translation layer (a program loader) capable of running Windows applications on Linux and other POSIX compatible operating systems.

1. Download wine from this site http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/index.html and click your desired version (1.1.12 – 1.1.16 or 1.1.24+)
    2. After downloading double click the file and install it if a warning message like this 'A later version is available in a "software channel" will appear just click ok and install.
    Note:
    If your operating system (OS) is a fresh or newly installed you need to click System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager and click Reload to update the necessary files needed in installing wine.
    E. INSTALL MICROSOFT OFFICE 2007

1. Insert your Microsoft Office 2007 installer on your CD-ROM look for the file named 'setup.exe' right click on it and click open with other application choose Wine Windows Program Loader.
    2. On the setup window type the license key click Continue and Install or you may click Customize and choose the applications you want and Install.
    Note:
    Please do not proceed to STEP F if you failed on this step.

F. INSTALL WINETRICKS
    - A useful tool for using common workarounds to current deficiencies in Wine.

1. Install winetricks by openning your terminal and type sudo wget www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
    2. Install cabextract to extract the contents of Microsoft cabinet archives
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install cabextract
    3. Install the following:

• corefronts - installs MS Arial, Courier and Times fonts;
    • tahoma - installs tahoma fonts;
    • vcrun2005sp1 - installs MS Visual C++ 2005 sp1 libraries; and
    • wsh56js - installs MS Windows scripting 5.6, jscript only, no script
    Code:
    sh winetricks corefonts tahoma vcrun2005sp1 wsh56js
    G. CONFIGURE WINE
    - to be able to run programs properly like MS PowerPoint you need to configure wine

1. Click Applications>Wine>Configure Wine or type
      Code:
      winecfg
      on your terminal window
    2. On the Libraries Tab type ‘riched20’ click add and type ‘usp10’ and click again.
    3. Highlight or click 'riched20' and click Edit change it to ‘Native windows’ then click Apply and Ok.
    H. TEST MICROSOFT OFFICE

1. Open Microsoft Office Word 2007. Applications>Wine>Programs>Microsoft Office> Microsoft Office Word 2007 and your done!
    I. REBOOT COMPUTER
    - to be able update menus

SOLUTIONS TO COMMON ISSUES:
    Read this first before asking for help with wine by admin http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=885111
    • I want to use old versions where can I download it?

-Use wine for Ubuntu 8.04 or 8.10 but I suggest that you use the latest version visit http://www.winehq.org/
    • I'm using an older version of Ubuntu will my MSOffice installation be affected if I will upgrade it?

- There's a big tendency but if that's the case then I suggest do the installation again.
    • I'm working on Step E but then it suddenly stopped, what will I do?

- if the installation stopped on Step E make sure that you did not miss any step before it but if you're sure that you did all the steps right then my assumption is it's a hardware related problem try to use a different installation media.
    • to be continued...

to all the visitors of the guide please help me enumerate common issues in installing MSOffice 2007 and its possible solutions.

Thank you.

ORIGINAL POST: (May 30, 2009)
    1st REVISION: (June 29, 2009)
    Last edited by jhoeijao; September 1st, 2009 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Sollutions to Common Issues

Beans

Re: Installing Microsoft Office 2007 in Ubuntu 8.04/8.10/9.04 using Wine 1.1.12 to 16

Installing office 2007 in wine is quite easy and on the latest versions it is fully supported.
    For high-res minimalist and abstract wallpapers check out my Deviantart profile - http://hyperdude111.deviantart.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Installing Microsoft Office 2007 in Ubuntu 8.04/8.10/9.04 using Wine 1.1.12 to 16

Quote Originally Posted by hyperdude111 View Post
    Installing office 2007 in wine is quite easy and on the latest versions it is fully supported.
    I will try upgrading wine after using the guide above. If it will work. then I'll update the guide. Thanks for the info anyway.

Moved to the WINE Forum.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by hyperdude111 View Post
    There is a regression in wine 1.1.17-1.1.22 (and probably 23) that won't let you install wine on those versions. You can RUN office apps under those versions (in fact copy/paste support improved A LOT in 1.1.22), but you just can't install it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    Moved to the WINE Forum.
    Thanks for moving my post in Wine forum. I'm trying to find a way how to move this but I guess only moderators can do that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

How can you get the right wine version for jaunty?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by monchedeng View Post
    How can you get the right wine version for jaunty?
    Try using Wine for Ubuntu 8.04 because Jaunty doesn't have wine version lower than 1.1.18. I'm using Jaunty right now wine version 1.1.14.

By the way thanks for reminding me about this I'll update my guide.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jhoeijao; May 31st, 2009 at 11:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Excellent post! I was trying for the longest time to setup Office 2007 and it finally works

Though I've noticed that PowerPoint acts up if I try to draw an arrow between shapes... kinda sad but I'm just really happy that Word 2007 works so well! Thank you ever so much!

I tried upgrading wine after installing Office and Office stopped working... just btw... so yeah, I'm sticking with wine 1.1.16
    Last edited by Pooven; June 8th, 2009 at 02:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Pooven View Post
    Excellent post! I was trying for the longest time to setup Office 2007 and it finally works

Though I've noticed that PowerPoint acts up if I try to draw an arrow between shapes... kinda sad but I'm just really happy that Word 2007 works so well! Thank you ever so much!

I tried upgrading wine after installing Office and Office stopped working... just btw... so yeah, I'm sticking with wine 1.1.16
    You're welcome.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast