I'm having a lot of network-related issues with my Ubuntu machines, primarily on my home network. We have a Belkin router connected to Time Warner Roadrunner internet. I seem to get a lot of random dropouts, which seem to be specific only to one computer, and not the whole network. For example, I might be surfing the internet on my Ubuntu desktop, when suddenly I can't get any webpages to load. I downloaded a screenlet app which shows the network activity, and it always drops to 0 when this happens. It eventually resumes but it's intermittent. I have this same problem when trying to use my Ubuntu laptop via a wireless connection. Again, the internet service is fine, it's just the computers that seem to lose the connection. I also noticed that samba file transfers tend to go really slowly sometimes, and they too will often dropout and resume. Internet downloads (direct downloads from websites) will also drop, but won't resume. For example, if I wanted to downloaded the latest Ubuntu ISO, it tends to work for a while, then randomly stop downloading somewhere during the process, and never resume. It's like I'm hitting some sort of bandwidth block or something.

Additionally, I noticed that my wireless connection tends to drop completely when I'm at school using their wireless, and the only way to get it back is to turn my wifi off, then back on (meaning turning the actual unit off, not turning off wireless in the net monitor applet).

Anyone have a clue as to what I can do? I noticed that streaming connections (i.e. streaming music or movies via samba) never drops, but file transfers and internet surfing/downloads frequently drop out. My roommate runs Vista and seems to have no issues, meanwhile I rarely can view a complete youtube video, or connect consistently to google maps or anything like that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can provide more specific info, just tell me what you need. Thanks!

-Dan