Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox crashes on startup

Beans

Firefox crashes on startup

Hello all,

I have a wierd problem. I was happily using firefox till last week and suddenly firefox refueses to start. On the console after typing 'firefox' it just exits. Doing a 'firefox &' shows me that it has exited with error code 1.

I have tried running firefox in safe mode and removed the ~/.mozilla/firefox directory. I have re-installed firefox multiple times to no avail.

I am running Ubuntu Intrepid and firefox version is 3.0.10. My guess was that after upgrading from 3.0.3 to 3.0.10 the problem started happening. I downgraded FF to 3.0.3 but still the problem persists.

Thinking that the problem would be with the Nvidia Cuda driver I installed in between, I removed it and am back to the generic video driver but again, it made no difference.

I am going mad here, there is no error message for me to work upon, please suggest something.

Sachin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Firefox crashes on startup

I realize that you removed the .mozilla directory but have you tried recreating your user profile and launching firefox? Try this from the command line:

Code:
    firefox -profilemanager
    Create a new profile and launch firefox with it. Does the issue persist?

If you are unable to access the profile manager you can alternatively try:

Code:
    firefox -no-remote -P
    or

Code:
    firefox -a asdf

Beans

I have already tried all that. The issue persists though

The interesting thing is that when I open firefox using the profilemanager switch, the selection dialog box opens and I can select, rename, delete or create a new profile. But after that again firefox crashes with the same error code.

Sachin.

Soul-Sing is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Make a backup copy of your .mozilla folder then PURGE Firefox, rather than just uninstall/reinstall, then reinstall and see what you have..

Beans

Done that too. I am assuming that by 'purge' you mean the 'completely remove' option in Synaptic.

I think it's a problem greater than just missing dependencies. I have downloaded a fresh copy of firefox from the official website and ran it in it's own folder but its giving me the same error.

Sachin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

sachins

did you find the answer to your problem?
    i am starting to have this issue Firefox, starting but no page is displayed (blank) No Blank is not my startup page.

Also does Ubuntu have a menu to force close program that will close programs that are not responding? ( taskmanager ) I have closed Firefox and try to open it later but system tell me that it is still open. i am having to log off and back on to clear the error
    Last edited by Bert_421; June 23rd, 2009 at 04:30 AM.

Beans

No I didn't get any answer to my query. I switched to Opera on my Ubuntu but I'm not that happy about it.

If you want to close firefox then go to the terminal, type 'ps ax | grep firefox'. This will show you the process id of firefox then you can issue the command 'kill <process id>' to kill that process.

Sachin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Man hate to here that!! i tried opera not a big fan of it. i guess i will stay with IE8
    thanks for the kill command.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

One item to try is to remove the .mozilla directory in your home directory (backup or export any bookmarks). You can see it with ls -al or with show hidden files in nautilus. Doing this will cause you to loose all your firefox settings, bookmarks and plugins.

Beans

blueridgedog: I've already tried that to no avail. The problem seems to be something else altogether.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast