Thread: Video Card Suggestion

Beans

Video Card Suggestion

I need a recommendation for a GOOD Video Card for my Ubuntu System. I am tired of dealing with Dell to fix my current integrated video issue - they are idiots!

My Configuration:

I have a Dell Inspiron 530N with the Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHZ
    I am running Release 8.04 Hardy Kernel Linux 2.6.24-24-Generic Gnome 2.22.3
    I have 4G of real memory.
    Display - MAIN - Dell S2409w LCD Display with 1920/1080 resolution.
    Second Monitor supports 1280x1024

What I Want:

A video card that fully supports 3D graphics (Advanced Desktop Effects) and if possible 2 monitors (or more without additional cards).
    The hardest part - I want something that will install very cleanly. My frustration level with Dell is such that I simply want soemthing that works that I will not have to mess with to get working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Video Card Suggestion

Most modern videocards support multiple monitors. I got an Palit Radeon 2600HD with HDMI, DVI, and VGA out, and Compiz runs great on it at 1920x1080. Only I haven't tested multiple monitors on it.
    If I had a bean for every post in the cafe...
    "Do you pine for the days when men were men and wrote their own device drivers?" - Linus Torvalds

Beans

Thanks - I will look into that one. Did it take any special steps to install and make run or was it more or less plug and play?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Ubuntu Intrepid automatically prompted me to install the Ati Catalyst driver right after the initial installation. Installed, rebooted, worked like a charm.

BTW, I origionally bought it on Newegg, but it isn't there anymore. Here's a link anyway:
    http://tinyurl.com/l37eat
    Origionally bought it because of the HDMI out for our HDTV. Nice hradware, runs pretty cool.
    If I had a bean for every post in the cafe...
    "Do you pine for the days when men were men and wrote their own device drivers?" - Linus Torvalds