Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should ubuntuforums have this section?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Should ubuntuforums have this section?

[QUOTE=celticbhoy;7362735]
    What's so bad about it?/QUOTE]

What is upsetting a lot of people is that Canaonical are a commercial company and they will be charging for those who wish more than the 2G free storage amount. As this is a commercial undertaking a lot of people think that the name should not be directly associated with Ubuntu a free open source project, and as such should not be on the Ubuntu forums.
    No
    The majority of the people are ok with canonical making making with this software.
    Heck the more money they make the better for us.
    And canonical does make money from ubuntu from OEMS.

let us be clear what is upsetting people is that this is CLOSED SOURCE.
    the client being open source is of no use without the server.i cant do anything with only the client right now.

So just make It FOSS and then people will gladly even pay for the premium versions.

ubuntu is free software, so ubuntu one should either be renamed and canonical should not integrate it by default else open it up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Let's be serious here. Ubuntu has paid support, how many use it? A laughable amount.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Apologies tgpraveen, I was only commenting on the little info I had read on bits of this and other threads. My statement was to try & help someone understand why this is an issue at all. If I have been inacurate then I apologize.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bigbrovar View Post
    purely proprietary tool.. sure the client is open source..
    This is confusing me, is it proprietary or Open-Source, or does it have a mixed license? Is it that actual service that's proprietary? *confuzzeled*
    No Internet Censorship for Australia! See here and here.

Beans

Why was this forum opened ? Why on ubuntuforums.org and not on canonicalbusinessforums.org ?

I really think that Canonical acknowledged the concerns that the community has in regard of Ubuntu One and has requested this forum to let you and the UbuntuOne kids know better and perhaps even play together.

I don't see any attempt to steal users or whatever. That's a ridicule claim.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard-sama View Post
    This is confusing me, is it proprietary or Open-Source, or does it have a mixed license? Is it that actual service that's proprietary? *confuzzeled*
    No, only the server side software is closed. The protocol is open, which means that a developer could fairly easily create an Ubuntu One server.

Quote Originally Posted by tacone View Post
    Why was this forum opened ? Why on ubuntuforums.org and not on canonicalbusinessforums.org ?
    As I said here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...82&postcount=3 the forum exists because Canonical requested it.

As was noted here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...3&postcount=19 Ubuntu One is not the only commercial area on this forum.

Since the open source client will be available in Ubuntu, it will require support. It's logical to have a support form for Ubuntu One in Ubuntuforums.org.
    Last edited by dmizer; June 1st, 2009 at 07:18 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Madpilot View Post
    While I have reservations about UbuntuOne, to be fair to it, Canonical & the UbuntuForums folks, there are other commercial outfits & projects with subforums here on ubuntuforums - System76 & Dell both have their specific subforums...

Of all the issues around U1, whether they should be here or not is a very minor one!
    You beat me to the punch.

And in general to everyone, let's remember canonical owns this forum and they are entitled to request a category about one of their products. Having the Ubuntu One forum is no different then the Dell or System76 forum here.
    My Blog | Forum Search | Forum Guidelines
    Please don't PM support questions--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tacone
    As I said here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...82&postcount=3 the forum exists because Canonical requested it.
    I can't help but think you didn't really read my post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by tacone View Post
    I can't help but think you didn't really read my post.

Edit:
    You're quite right, I did not. Sincere apologies.
    Last edited by dmizer; June 1st, 2009 at 03:45 PM. Reason: why did it take me 5 reads to see that?!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This forum was created to help give the community a chance to give feedback and get technical to the Ubuntu One developers. People are complaining that Ubuntu One is not free and Canonical abusing the good will of Ubuntu, but yet they requested a "forum" to get input from the community at the beginning of this new product line.

Ubuntu and Canonical has always have supported the ideas of free software, but they have done it in a pragmatic way. The inclusion of NVIDIA driver, certain wireless driver, etc... Most people see the free software battle as a line in the sand, but it is a battle of inches and every day we get a little closer to victory.

T-V
    Mike: "The hardest questions in life are the ones worth answering"
    E-Mail | Blog | Gmail | technoviking on irc.freenode.net, identi.ca , and Twitter

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast