Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu Desktop Converted to Headless Server - No display via SSH VNC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Ubuntu Desktop Converted to Headless Server - No display via SSH VNC

You guys are great!!!

I stumble across the fix to get my NX working. I had a problem with permission rights to file /etc/nsswitch.conf

644 is the proper permission for that file.

Because I didn't have the right permissions I was not able to "ping localhost"

I'm now able to connect using NX Client and my display works great!

I'm not going to stop here though I'm going to fix the Display issue with VNC

dmizer - I installed ebox and looks good so I'll follow your suggestion to use ebox instead of Webmin. My goal is to use Terminal so I'll continue to sharpen my skill to get better at it.

I'm also able to connect to VNC Server using your command;

vncviewer -x11cursor -geometry 900x700 -encodings "copyrect tight zrle hextile" localhost:1
    The problem was "0" so I changed it to 1

What happens is that when I start the machine its set to login automatically but because there is no monitor its probably throwing a display error. I still get a gray display but NX Client works good.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Loan_Refi; May 28th, 2009 at 08:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

SOLVED - Re: Ubuntu Desktop Converted to Headless Server - No display via SSH VNC

Okay I found the solution for VNC Headless Machine. The reason i was getting no desktop is because all I need it to do is to add "gnome-session & to file /home/user/.vnc/xstartup

example;
    #!/bin/sh

xrd $HOME/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid grey
    #x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
    #x-window-manager &
    gnome-session &

I also fount a great application called krusader which allows me to copy files, folders & print between two remote computers while using vncviewer, this is done with "sftp". I like this app because of GUI, I know I can probably do it thru terminal too.

apt-get install krusader

NXClient from www.nomachine.com is good too since it allows me to share my printers & folders.

VNC or NXClient are my solutions BUT, I Prefer VNCViewer! Fast, easy install via apt-get.!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12