Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowering CPU temps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Lowering CPU temps

I don't know what the norm is for a laptop, it seemed high when I checked the other threads. Is there anyway to lower my CPU temps on my laptop? It runs a lot since it is my only computer for now. My specs are in my sig.
    Runs from 55-57 degrees Celsius with no load.
    Toshiba Satellite L355D-S7829 - AMD Turion 64 X2 RM-72, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD.
    Windows Vista x64 SP2 & openSUSE (yuck)
    Soon to be running Windows 7 with CrunchBang

Beans

Re: Lowering CPU temps

i was wondering the same thing, also how can i check if my laptops fan is working?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Not only working, but clear. Those vents suck up crud like you wouldn't believe. If you have any pets in the house, this is even more important.

Also, for something called "a laptop" the one place they are very poorly suited to working on is, in fact, your lap. Air circulation under them is terrible, which will also raise the temps.

I hope this helps.
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3GHz Dual Core, ASUS ATX AMD Motherboard, CORSAIR 4GB RAM, EVGA 512MB GeForce 9500 GT, 1.5TB mirrored RAID, 30GB primary drive, pcHDTV and Hauppauge 1600 tuners. Yeah, this hasn't been accurate for a long time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

rlj399: Is your laptop working? If so, then your laptop fan is working. If the fan wasn't working then your computer would freeze after a couple of seconds.

catatonic: As far as I know, 55 degress at idle is normal for a laptop. Laptops run warmer than desktops due to the lack of space for heat to disperse.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    catatonic: As far as I know, 55 degress at idle is normal for a laptop. Laptops run warmer than desktops due to the lack of space for heat to disperse.
    Thanks for clearing that up, I've been monitoring the temperature since thread about overheating poped up.
    Toshiba Satellite L355D-S7829 - AMD Turion 64 X2 RM-72, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD.
    Windows Vista x64 SP2 & openSUSE (yuck)
    Soon to be running Windows 7 with CrunchBang

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    rlj399: Is your laptop working? If so, then your laptop fan is working. If the fan wasn't working then your computer would freeze after a couple of seconds.

well that's the thing, i use my laptop for long periods of time and today its frozen twice :-\ id say maybe its like once per 4 hrs

Beans

I've been somewhat dissatisfied with my laptop's heat production with GNU/Linux
    compared to windows. My CPU and HDD seem to run hotter than in windows and I have
    searched high and low for a linux distro that keeps them cooler (*ubuntu, debian, gOS,
    PCLOS, and openSUSE). openSUSE was the only one I noticed a real difference in, but it
    was the wrong direction: it was so hot my fan was on full speed 24/7.

I refuse to use DSL or another lightweighter as my main distro because I love the
    features of the "full" distros (i.e. ubuntu). I just sit my laptop on a table mostly and
    let the cpu fan side hang off the side of the table a bit and that helps ( I hover around
    40C with that when it would be ~46C on my lap).

I feel like this is an area Linux developers could work on, but by no means will
    it keep me from using GNU/Linux OS's!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Funnily enough my laptop fan can be heard going off if the processor spikes about 50%, but the trackpad retains heat for long periods of use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Exclamation Re: Lowering CPU temps

I have an HP laptop with AMD64 x2. It runs in the 39-42 C range. It seems that as long as you stay under the 65-70 C range (for an extended period) that you should be ok. Attached is a link where you can look up your processor to tell what range is ok. also, if you raise the backend of the laptop about a 1/2 inch, you will get better airflow. Good luck.

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/conten...=maxtemp.shtml
    sudo apt-get remove Windows
    sudo apt-get install Ubuntu

Linux# 488638 Ubuntu# 26955

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I have Ubuntu Jaunty and Vista istalled on my Acer 6930 Aspire and the CPU temp and HDD temp are cooler in ubuntu. OF course the RAM used is about 60% less in ubuntu also, and I have Compiz running with a lot of the perty' effects . Little break down with mine temp wise you can compare with your's or whatever:

Code:
    shhh@laptop:~# hddtemp /dev/sda
    /dev/sda: WDC WD3200BEVT-22ZCT0: 47°C
    Code:
    product: 	WDC WD3200BEVT-2
    vendor: 	Western Digital
    physical id: 	
    bus info: 	
    scsi@0:0.0.0
    logical name: 	
    /dev/sda
    version: 	11.0
    serial: 	WD-WXE708PC7737
    size: 	298GiB (320GB)
    Code:
    shhh@laptop:~# sudo sensors
    coretemp-isa-0000
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Core 0:      +48.0°C  (high = +85.0°C, crit = +85.0°C) 
    model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T5800  @ 2.00GHz
    One more thing, if someone has not already said this, but if your laptop allows you to scale the power of the CPU then try adding the CPU Frequency scaling applet to your panel and try putting it on the 'On Demand' setting.
    Last edited by dot2kode; May 28th, 2009 at 05:52 AM. Reason: forgot something

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast