Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uShare works....for about 10 minutes

Beans

uShare works....for about 10 minutes

Hi guys,

I have uShare working (connecting to my xbox 360 for video sharing) but the problem is that it stops working after about 10 minutes and the xbox says something about a lost connection.

What's the deal? I changed my power settings to make sure it doens't do anything when it is idle/closing the lid/etc. but it still does the same thing.

Has anyone run into this before and how did you fix it?
    Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: uShare works....for about 10 minutes

Check to make sure that you have set static IP addresses for the XBox and your PC. Sometimes they keep stealing the same IP address if you leave them as dynamic IP's.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post
    Check to make sure that you have set static IP addresses for the XBox and your PC. Sometimes they keep stealing the same IP address if you leave them as dynamic IP's.
    I don't understand why that would make uShare all of the sudden stop sharing in the middle of a movie.

My xbox definitely has a static IP, but my laptop currently doesn't. I'll change that first, but are there any other ideas?

Beans
    Distro

It can make ushare stop working because the IP address of one of the machines is lost. No other ideas immediately come to mind.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Is the laptop connected via ethernet cable or wireless?

Is a router involved or is it a direct connection between the laptop and the 360?

Beans

I have an external hard drive with all my vids. It's one of those MyBook usb external HDs with 1TB space. It's about half full, but I found out that ushare or the linux network doesn't like the external HD's if they contain lots of data. I moved the vids over to a 1.5 TB internal HD and now I have no problems. With the external HD I noticed chopy playback, with the internal HD, all is well. My network is wireless-N and my computer is up stairs around a corner and through a hallway... I've even tried streaming a high definition film through ushare... flawless.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Baelus View Post
    Is the laptop connected via ethernet cable or wireless?

Is a router involved or is it a direct connection between the laptop and the 360?
    I'm going through a Netgear router using a wireless connection. It plays fine for a few minutes, then just drops out.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

mine does the same except i'm using two linksys routers (setup as a wireless bridge)

windows has NO problems streaming to the xbox, however ushare seems to be a bit finicky

will work GREAT for about 20 mins or so and then the connection just drops ..
    the xbox will lose the share and wont be able to find it until reboot the machine

then it works again for another 20 mins...

something is stopping or "sleeping" after a certain amount of time and its killing the ushare connection ...

ubuntu 9.10

Beans

For the record, I have the exact same problem, but it's limited to media stored on my external hard drive. Let me detail:

I have a server running CentOS (not Ubuntu, sorry), which runs uShare, that I access via my Xbox 360. The Xbox 360 is connected via a Buffalo router that was turned into a bridge, using Tomato firmware. The wireless network is on some Netgear N router. Media sharing and movie playback works flawlessly, provided that I am playing media stored on the hard drives within the server. I also have an external drive attached via USB, but when I play media from this source, it stops playing after 5 or 10 minutes. So far, I'm stumped.

Beans

Same here. I tried to watch a movie from my linux box (ubuntu 9.10) on my xbox 360 and it kept freezing up. Then it wouldn't connect. This kept happening over and over - no idea why.

I finally switched over to sharing from my mac (using a program called Connect360) and streaming worked. Are there alternatives to ushare? Or is this just an ubuntu thing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast