Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Performance PC ? Waste of money ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Thumbs down Performance PC ? Waste of money ?

Hi
    Its time for me to build a new PC , and like a lot of people (mainly men I guess ) I feel drawn to to higher performance components . It just wouldn't feel right building a low or average performance machine. I guess its the same with cars , we like big numbers !
    I notice a lot of people that post on Ubuntu forums have fairly powerful machines , by my standards anyway.
    I am not talking huge performance , maybe Intel 2.6GHz cpu , Nvidia GTS250 graphics card 4g ram.

What do you think , am I wasting my money when I will only use Ubuntu ?
    Go on give a good reason to build a decent PC

Beans

Re: Performance PC ? Waste of money ?

Futureproofing

Audio/Video editing uses a lot of ram
    making dvds in DeVeDe uses a lot of cpu

Whilst using Kopete, Firefox, Dolphin and Amarok in Arch with KDEmod I'm using about 1GiB of RAM which means 3GiB free.

Note that if you want 4GiB RAM get a 64bit OS. 64 bit support in Linux is excellent - only wine causes issues imo. You may want to check if your nvidia card is supported by nvidia too

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Why do you need a decent PC? That's the question dude.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

What CPU do you mean by Intel 2.6Ghz? A powerfull pc would be a core i7, which starts at 2.66Ghz. I believe the gtx250 is not a very good choice as it is a rebranded GTX9800 or something, the gtx260 is of the new generation and much more powerfull.

I think a lot of people here spend a lot of time at their computers, so I imagine thats why they're comfortable with spending a little more on their systems. I would say you should really base your decission on your specific needs. More RAM is always better, but if you're doing graphics or virtualization you might as well get a lot of it. A fast GPU is not always usefull, on the other hand, but it is for gaming when you want to use cuda.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Gucko View Post
    Why do you need a decent PC? That's the question dude.
    I concur: having a good idea of the main thing you'll be using the computer for can help steer your focus on what kinds of bells and whistles to focus on when choosing the specs. My old Win98SE machine was good enough doing stuff like dial-up, casual surfing, email, the occasional bit of word-processing, but once I got interested in video editing and DVD authoring, things like memory, cpu speed and disk storage capacity became more important than they had been.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

My advice is usually to work out how much you can afford to spend on your new PC, and then build the best machine you can for that amount, even if it gets you a higher spec machine than you think you need.

As SuperSonic4 said... futureproofing.

Works out cheaper in the long run than realising 2 years down the line that your PC isn't up to scratch any more and having to build yet a new machine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

If you just use Linux then you'd be better off building a computer that's small, meets your needs but uses as little power as possible.

High power, high cost machines are generally for specific needs or cutting edge gaming.

As for future proofing, it's humbug. A high power PC de-valuates very quickly. In order to keep at the level you have become accustomed you will have to upgrade within two years anyway. Or accept you're falling behind. Time your purchases well and take advantage of sales.

Again, build a computer that meets your needs. You wouldn't buy a Ferrari to do the weekly shopping.
    Last edited by Yashiro; May 26th, 2009 at 08:52 PM.
    » Praetoria Imperialis « A World of Warcraft Guild for Grown Ups. Mostly.

Beans
    Hidden!

I built a pretty decent pc last year, but have realised that, now that I am not playing games in windows(not this year at least), buying a really good graphics card seems to be a bit of a waste, as all it is being used for is Compiz..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Yashiro View Post
    High power, high cost machines are generally for specific needs or cutting edge gaming.
    But last longer without needing upgrades or replacement...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well it kinda matter on what you need, for me I needed a multi-core processor and 4GB of RAM, because I use my PC to do normal day to day and to encode video and as a media PC, more cores mean that I can do more at the same time. But on the same side I purchased a lower end motherboard and graphics card because gaming and ports are not a big a big consern. I dd spend alot on my case and mouse and keyboard, but that is because I wanted quality components. The case can be reused and the mouse and keyboard are for comfort.

Personally If you need a machine to web surf, word process and maybe an occasional video/game then spending more than $600USD is crazy.

off the top of my head here is what I think I spent, prices are now much lower so bear in mind, also many parts get reused from build to build, why buy a new power supply or DVD drive if the old ones will work in the new system, right?

$190 - AMD Phenom 9950 Processor
    $80 - 4GB Ram
    $100 - 750 GB Hard Drive
    $180 - Lian-Li Case (reused from old build)
    $70 - Power Supply (reused from old build)
    $150 - Nvidia 8600 GT (reused from old build)
    $25 - DVD-RW drive (reused from old build)
    $80 - Motherboard
    $150 - TV capture Card
    $50 - Mouse
    $65 - Keyboard
    $40 - Case Fans -- like 4 or 5 of them

total $1180, and thats a PC made up of parts spanning almost 3 years
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast