Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: failed fsck after crash after upgrade to jaunty: serp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

failed fsck after crash after upgrade to jaunty: serp

Hi all. I've got a bit of a problem. I upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04 last night. Everything seemed fine until I came back from lunch and launched Amarok (already had firefox, pidgin, pdf viewer, and transmission running.) Amarok crashed X on its splash screen and while I had mouse no commands were working. I manually restarted and on reboot it failed fsck. I get a recovery prompt and the log entry in /var/log/fsck/checkfs of

Log of fsck -CR3 -R -A -a
    Tue May 26 15:05:47 2009

fsck 1.41.4 (27-Jan-2009)
    fsck.ext3: A block group is missin an inode table while checking ext3 journal $
    fsck died with exit status 8

Tue May 26 15:05:47 2009
    ----------------
    Not really sure what to do but I need my laptop up and running asap, I have class work I need to get done. Thanks for the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: failed fsck after crash after upgrade to jaunty: serp

Boot from a livecd and run partition editor, run a check on the partition in there...

Beans
    Distro

Okay I will. I found this thread but it's a bit old, anyone have thoughts more current? http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=606774

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This looks a whole lot like a bug with tracker (System > Prefs > Search and Indexing). If it is, it will soon hose your entire filesystem.

Do this...

Code:
    sudo apt-get install tracker-utils
    tracker-processes -r
    ...ASAP.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro

Right now I have a livedvd in there checking itself for defects, was going to use the partition editor to scan it for problems but I guess that's not necessary. I'll run that when it's done checking. Before when it brought me into recovery, it had auto mounted the file systems. How do I unmount and install? It doesn't seem to see my internet, would that been included in a livedvd?

Beans
    Distro

Not sure of relevance but here is some weird behaviour I experienced before this happened.

I was using a custom gtk theme that mimiced kde's oxygen. Last night it worked fine for the account it was enabled on, but when I switched users to another account that used default theme many of the system icons failed to start, and gnome systems manager failed to start when I went into System > Prefs> Appearance citing an already active kde manager. I disabled the theme and restarted. I could then get into Appearance but had to manually had launchers to the panel (volume, network, etc) because they still failed to show.

Also, vhba fails.

Oops, sorry for the double post. I'm used to bbs' that auto merge doubles.

Beans
    Distro

thomasaaron, it fails to fetch. apt-get update doesn't help. I guess it doesn't see my net. Trying to find the network init script. Thoughts? I'm just sitting in recovery term atm, and if my filesystem is that vulnerable I'd rather not dilly dally.

Beans
    Distro

thomasaaron, tracker is no longer part of ubuntu as of jaunty. What should I do?

Beans
    Distro

I can't login, it says my home directory does not exist.

Beans
    Distro

fsck.ext3 -f /dev/sda2 results in fsck.ext3: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks... fsck.ext3: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda2 The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock: e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

It seems all is lost. How the hell could this happen? I have most of my music/movies type files backed up but so much for year+ of chat logs, bookmarks and customization.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast