Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final fantasy viii cursor always moves up

Beans

Final fantasy viii cursor always moves up

I'm having a couple of problems running FF8 on wine. Firstly when I get to the first menu, the cursor will continuously move up, as if I'm holding onto the up key. Secondly, I can't seem to make it work in fullscreen. I can set it as fullscreen in the ff8 config program, and set it to use a virtualdesktop but it still only appears as a small box in the top left.

The cursor selection problem also happens in game Alex the Alligator 4 which is native to linux and in the repository.. but it hasn't happened in any other native or wine program.

Most reports on this game seem to be that it works fine, so seems like something weird is up for me here.

I'm using Jaunty 9.04 and wine 1.1.22.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Final fantasy viii cursor always moves up

FFVIII was released on PC?
    I usually get my FF fix via emulators myself, but just like wine, there are often unfixable annoyances. just pray they're not showstoppers.

Beans

It was released on PC, FFVII was too. Not the best of ports but still better than an emulator.

Then again if I can't fix this cursor problem then an emulator might be the next best option.

Beans

bump

Beans

final bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Are you playing with a gamepad?

Can you control the pointer with the mouse? Not are you trying to, do you have the option?

Are you using compiz?
    The Windows/Linux/OS X holy wars are pointless. Use what you like. It's just an operating system on a computer. Seriously.

Beans

I'm not playing with a gamepad, only the keyboard, though the option is there. I was hoping to disable or change the bindings for the gamepad incase it was misreading something but the option doesn't seem to be there.

Pretty sure it can't be controlled by the mouse. There aren't any options about it anyway. Then again it does seem to take control of the mouse when I run it..

Having compiz on or off makes no difference.

Beans
    Distro

Go to the wine config and see if changing "allow the window manager to control the windows" fixes things. Also, turn "allow the window manager to decorate the windows" off if it's on.

This has fixed many game-related problems for me in the past.
    The Windows/Linux/OS X holy wars are pointless. Use what you like. It's just an operating system on a computer. Seriously.

Beans

Doesn't seem to have helped

Beans
    Distro

I'll download the demo and see if I can reproduce this problem and find a way to fix it.

Stand by...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast