Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Amazing Feats Performed with Linux

Beans

Amazing Feats Performed with Linux

What amazing things have you done with your Linux?

I turn on my computer, boot into Ubuntu, on open up XMMS, tune into an online radio station... then I take out my harddrive and plug it into another computer(in the next room) and boot from it!
    8 hours later my tunes are still rockin on my hard drive less Linux box. You can't do that with Windows (I've tried).

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Amazing Feats Performed with Linux

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJazz
    What amazing things have you done with your Linux?

I turn on my computer, boot into Ubuntu, on open up XMMS, tune into an online radio station... then I take out my harddrive and plug it into another computer(in the next room) and boot from it!
    8 hours later my tunes are still rockin on my hard drive less Linux box. You can't do that with Windows (I've tried).
    can you explain this magic?

you take the hard drive out of a running computer, put it another one, and claim that the computer with no hard drive runs linux and plays online music? maybe its just me, but i claim that a computer with no hard drive will do nothing of worth.

Beans

well it sounds crazy but it works, try it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

so it's kinda like turning your install of ubuntu into the livecd...that is neat...speaking of old harddrives I need to work and try to get my info off one that crashed on me...maybe that's what i'll do instead of playing runescape

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by briancurtin

you take the hard drive out of a running computer, put it another one, and claim that the computer with no hard drive runs linux and plays online music? maybe its just me, but i claim that a computer with no hard drive will do nothing of worth.
    you might also keep in mind that XMMS is a pretty simple program that requires very little memory obviously I wouldn't be able to surf the web or even open other applications without plugging the hard drive back in.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alinuxfan
    so it's kinda like turning your install of ubuntu into the livecd...that is neat...speaking of old harddrives I need to work and try to get my info off one that crashed on me...maybe that's what i'll do instead of playing runescape
    I wouldn't reccomend that really your best bet is to just use a liveCD and mount the old broken drive then either mount a second hard drive with a partition you can write to or use a Samba configured computer (on your network) and copy the files over to it. I've saved many a broken drive this way.

Beans

I've also started a live CD (BSD) and started XMMS playing then removed the CD and it worked fine and kept playing in the same fashion without any major problems. Pretty handy if you wanna turn a nearby computer into a music playing drone at some point (or play a joke on your friends who use OSX/Windows)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by briancurtin
    maybe its just me, but i claim that a computer with no hard drive will do nothing of worth.
    Wait just a minute.

I have a computer, with a PSU, a MB, a 486 dx 66 CPU, 16 MB RAM, 2 network Cards, and a floppy drive. That is it.

It is a firewall box, doing IP Maquarading, IP forwarding, and DNS services. It is the gateway for 6 computers, I can configure it thru my browser, because it has a tiny http server locally running CGI scripts so that I can configure from any of my local computers. I can do VNC, it does its own IP forwarding with port specific forwarding, a Intrusion detection system, and at time of a detected detection it will email me, send a script to one computer that can page my pager, it also has acts as a print server having an old HP Deskjet printer hooked up to it, we can print from any of the other computers. It runs an SSH deamon for local use only...

There are other things it wlll do as well, but those are the things it is doing right now.

And it boots from a 1.44 floppy, PERIOD.

every bit of the software is right there on the floppy. And did you notice in the hardware I did not mention a hard drive.

There isnt one.

So what can a computer without a harddrive do. Plenty,

One final note, my little firewall box has been running now for 9 months, 16 days, 2 hrs, and 15 minutes without a reboot.

Beans
    Hidden!

That is SWEET! Man I love Linux. By the way? Would you be willing to send me a copy of that floppies content? I could use that.
    Last edited by galgoz; January 14th, 2006 at 06:54 AM.
    I like mac?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by AMD64_N_Linux
    Wait just a minute.

I have a computer, with a PSU, a MB, a 486 dx 66 CPU, 16 MB RAM, 2 network Cards, and a floppy drive. That is it.

It is a firewall box, doing IP Maquarading, IP forwarding, and DNS services. It is the gateway for 6 computers, I can configure it thru my browser, because it has a tiny http server locally running CGI scripts so that I can configure from any of my local computers. I can do VNC, it does its own IP forwarding with port specific forwarding, a Intrusion detection system, and at time of a detected detection it will email me, send a script to one computer that can page my pager, it also has acts as a print server having an old HP Deskjet printer hooked up to it, we can print from any of the other computers. It runs an SSH deamon for local use only...

There are other things it wlll do as well, but those are the things it is doing right now.

And it boots from a 1.44 floppy, PERIOD.

every bit of the software is right there on the floppy. And did you notice in the hardware I did not mention a hard drive.

There isnt one.

So what can a computer without a harddrive do. Plenty,

One final note, my little firewall box has been running now for 9 months, 16 days, 2 hrs, and 15 minutes without a reboot.
    blah blah...but would you ever pull a hard drive out of any of your computers while it is on? that is what im more astounded at.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast