Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is Ubuntu One?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: What is Ubuntu One?

Quote Originally Posted by RealG187 View Post
    I am not sure of the differences, all I know is I heard of something called iDisk. So iDisk is the software and the service it uses is MobileMe?

What I want to know is if I put a file in my Ubuntu One could I access it when I am using Windows (like at school or another computer)?
    yes, from the web interface at http://ubuntuone.com, you can access all your files, and even upload new versions of them. The experience is not the same as in Ubuntu, where the files show up on your normal file system, but at least you can get to them

Beans
    Distro

Is that all, can you access it from Windows explorer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Sorry. I know the conversation has digressed away from the original topic, but I need to digress back to it for a moment in order to seek clarification on a point.

The service is said to "sync" files to the remote server, but as far as I can tell it only stores them there. If I update a file on my desktop which I have "synced" to the server is it automatically updated on the server as well the next time I connect to Ubuntu One?
    ****BGCB*****
    GCC/O$ d--(+) s+:- a- C++ L++>+++ W++ K- w O? M V? PS- PE++ t 5 X R(+) tv+ b++ DI++ D G e+ h--- r+++ z+++
    ****EGCB*****

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by crisnoh View Post
    The service is said to "sync" files to the remote server, but as far as I can tell it only stores them there. If I update a file on my desktop which I have "synced" to the server is it automatically updated on the server as well the next time I connect to Ubuntu One?
    Hi crisnoh!

Yes, the updated files on your local computer will be sync'd to the Ubuntu One server (and thus to the web interface or to any machine you have the Ubuntu One client installed)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Great, thanks for the clarification!
    ****BGCB*****
    GCC/O$ d--(+) s+:- a- C++ L++>+++ W++ K- w O? M V? PS- PE++ t 5 X R(+) tv+ b++ DI++ D G e+ h--- r+++ z+++
    ****EGCB*****

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123