Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is Ubuntu One?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Re: What is Ubuntu One?

Ubuntu One helps you store, sync your files, share your work with others or work remotely, all with your Ubuntu computer. Ubuntu One could be a unique, innovative way to seamlessly integrate cloud-style computing into the most popular Linux desktop. Right now, though, it just looks like Dropbox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

There are plans to add lots of exciting features to UbuntuOne, so it will be much more than those internet hard disk sites. Storing contacts, notes, and lots of other data is in the short term plan, and once we have a well established API for apps to use, I imagine 3rd party people would be adding lots of new exciting features.

So just make sure you file bugs / enhancement requests for the good ideas you all have.

Beans
    Distro

Doesn't apple have something called iDisk? But that's only for Macs and I don't use Macs.

Is there a way to access the dropbox from Windows?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by RealG187 View Post
    Doesn't apple have something called iDisk? But that's only for Macs and I don't use Macs.

Is there a way to access the dropbox from Windows?
    Fair disclosure here... I'm the product manager for Ubuntu One.

Dropbox does offer a Windows client for file syncing.

Apple's serivce is called MobileMe. The iDisk feature is used for file storage/sharing. It does not automatically sync (out of the box) like Ubuntu One File Sharing. iDisk does have a Windows (File Explorer) interface but I think it's basic WebDAV so it's probably not as good of an experience as using iDisk in the Mac's Finder app. This is similar to what we want to do with Ubuntu One FS - maximize the power of the desktop to create a great file storage/sharing/syncing experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The art of finding sticky threads...

Beans
    Distro

I am not sure of the differences, all I know is I heard of something called iDisk. So iDisk is the software and the service it uses is MobileMe?

What I want to know is if I put a file in my Ubuntu One could I access it when I am using Windows (like at school or another computer)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I dont like UbuntuOne Windows client, i don't want viruses on my UbuntuOne,
    Mac client is fine.

and don't sounds good " Ubuntu One for Windows " :s

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybirdman View Post
    cool.
    What somebody needs to come up with is something that can take all the internet drive services (skydrive, dropbox, spideroak, adrive, etc. Etc) and make them one drive mounted on your desktop... Or get real fun and have them show up as one drive but with some type of raid functionality, like a cloud-drive or cloud-raid..... I haven't looked, maybe that already exists?
    J.
    ... Brilliant!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

How about adding a space "Un buntu" Un means One in Spanish and some other languages!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybirdman View Post
    Cool.
    What somebody needs to come up with is something that can take all the internet drive services (skydrive, dropbox, spideroak, adrive, etc. etc) and make them one drive mounted on your desktop... or get real fun and have them show up as one drive but with some type of raid functionality, like a cloud-drive or cloud-raid..... I haven't looked, maybe that already exists?
    J.
    I dub this app/service/paradigm:

"Sink Sync".

- It'll need access to your various accounts so a secure paasword/key will be a top priority.
    - Scheduled syncs, change/notification widget, filtering, ....
    - Encrypted transmission, fall back if not min req. met (but with tag of "we tried to connect but the environment/parameters/carrier/etc were unable to meet min requirements...".

Huh, brainstorming run amok. Stop me before I invent again!

berk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast