Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is Ubuntu One?

Beans

What is Ubuntu One?

What exactly is Ubuntu One?
    It looks like it syncs files between computers, but I don't get exactly what it does.
    The world only has as much power over you as you let it have. -camper365
    Dell Latitude D630 2.00 GHz Core 2 Duo, Nvidia Quadro 135M 128 MB, 2 GB RAM, Ubuntu Studio Precise
    Linux user #489864 Ubuntu user #27303

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: What is Ubuntu One?

server based storage with a local software interface.

2GB will be free, 10GB is $10 monthly. I would suspect pricing and storage limits would change before it comes out of beta.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Kind of like dropbox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by ghen View Post
    server based storage with a local software interface.

2GB will be free, 10GB is $10 monthly. I would suspect pricing and storage limits would change before it comes out of beta.
    Cool.
    What somebody needs to come up with is something that can take all the internet drive services (skydrive, dropbox, spideroak, adrive, etc. etc) and make them one drive mounted on your desktop... or get real fun and have them show up as one drive but with some type of raid functionality, like a cloud-drive or cloud-raid..... I haven't looked, maybe that already exists?
    J.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybirdman View Post
    Cool.
    What somebody needs to come up with is something that can take all the internet drive services (skydrive, dropbox, spideroak, adrive, etc. etc) and make them one drive mounted on your desktop... or get real fun and have them show up as one drive but with some type of raid functionality, like a cloud-drive or cloud-raid..... I haven't looked, maybe that already exists?
    J.
    Hey, that's a novel idea. Unfortunately, seeing as access to these services is probably via HTTP rather than FTP, I'm not sure how feasible it is. And then there's the matter of utilizing all available space; if your file doesn't fit on the remaining space on one service, is it even possible to break it apart and keep it in separate stretches of cloud space? And then what about fragmentation?

Maybe I'm thinking about it too hard. =P

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I am wondering what advantage this has over Dropbox. It seems to be an Ubuntu-only version of Dropbox, which is too bad because I need to sync my files to Ubuntu, other Linux distros, Mac, and Windows. I do like the idea of it being hosted by Ubuntu and I would hope that it is completely open source unlike Dropbox.

I will of course give it a go once my invite comes in. I'm sure it is a great addition to Ubuntu and one that will hopefully make it to the repos. I just hope that there are plans to port it to Mac and Linux as well.
    Last edited by silverglade00; May 27th, 2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Stupid keyboard layout on Dell Mini
    - Silverglade00

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I didn't/haven't really thought it through, it was just a random idea.

I know there is some means to mount 'internet' drives as local drives already (some win, some linux).
    I would envision, for those you can mount, that the drives would be mounted locally and then the software raid (just like any other software raid) would combine the drives into a raid configuration/ virtual drive. The raid software would take care of allocation of data as it currently does with actual drives.
    If more allowed different types of access it would be easier and better but I'm sure some smart people out there already have this figured out....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by silverglade00 View Post
    I do like the idea of it being hosted by Ubuntu and I would hope that it is completely open source unlike Dropbox.
    I believe the PC "client" software will be open source (and perhaps included as default in future Ubuntu's?), but the server software is closed source.

Uncertain whether the fact that the client sofware is open source will enable users to compile support for non-Ubuntu OS...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

if i remeber correctly the client and protocol are open.
    so there is nothing stoping people from writing an app for win/mac.
    even better. the client is in python and i don't see why it couldn't be ported to win/mac.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Wink Re: What is Ubuntu One?

Is this somehow similar to Gmail Drive, where it will be included on the Places window? I hope this is better than that. Will this run on other OS, which it implies as it is still consider as Open Source? What if I want to sync my files on external drive and im accessing my UbuntuOne profile on the net remotely? Is this possible? But with that, I'm looking forward this service will hopefully come soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast