Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pSX - installation and troubleshooting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

pSX - installation and troubleshooting

Installing pSX:
    There's a little info around about installing this, but some of it's outdated, and there are a couple (easily fixable) problems they don't mention, so I figured I'd consolidate what I know and put it out here.

pSX is an emulator that allows you run original playstation games from your PC. It's pretty customizable and appears to have a high compatibility rate, as well as a fairly straightforward install process. The biggest drawback is that it's named pSX, which is also a nickname for the console, so it's nigh impossible to find information on it. Anyways, let's get started.

pSX has a few dependencies, so let's install them. Open a terminal and enter this:
    sudo apt-get install libgtkglext1 libgtkglext1-dev

pSX is free to use, so let's grab he binaries.
    wget http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/pSX_linux_1_13.tar.bz2
    tar xvf pSX_linux_1_13.tar.bz2
    (protip: just type tar xvf pSX and then hit the tab key.)

The resulting folder will have pSX in it, and can be moved anywhere you like. Feel free to remove the pSX_linux_1_13.tar.bz2 file, as it's not useful anymore.

Now that you've got pSX, you'll need a bios file and a game to run. The bios file will be named scph1001.bin (There are legal issues about that file, so I can't just hand mine out. Go find it.) Find the bios file, then put it in the pSX/bios folder. Now all you need is a game. Again, copyright issues, blah blah blah. You might try using AcetoneISO to rip your disks, but they're encrypted, so I never bothered. Go find some games. And put them somewhere not to far from the pSX folder. Also: I haven't found a disk image format that doesn't work with pSX, but I know for a fact that .bin/cue files work fine, as do the .ccd/img files.

Whew. Now everything's set up and (maybe) ready to go. In a terminal, navigate to the pSX directory and execute
    ./pSX
    A new window should open up and act just like a playstation. If it doesn't, please skip ahead to the troubleshooting section. If it does, click file, then load CD image. Navigate to the cd image of your game and double click it. The game should load and all should be well. Press alt+enter for fullscreen. Have fun!
    Last edited by sp0tz; May 25th, 2009 at 08:08 PM.
    ~.~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: pSX - installation and troubleshooting

Troubleshooting:
    pSX is not without problems. It's worth getting through them, though, as it runs better than any other playstation emulator I've used.

So, I try to run pSX, but it crashes. What's the deal?
    Check the terminal output. If the words "segmentation fault" appear, then there are a couple of options. First, before you run pSX, run
    Code:
    killall pulseaudio
    pSX and pulseautio don't play nice sometimes, which is a shame.

If it still segfaults (crashes with the terminal output segmentation fault), try this: run it as root, as per this thread
    Code:
    sudo ./pSX
    If that runs well, click file, then configuration. get over to the sound tab. If the dropdown box next to the word Device says "default", then change it to something else, then click apply, then click OK. If there's no sound anymore, get back in there and change the dropdown box again until it's /not/ set to default, but there /is/ sound.

There's a config file that we can edit so you don't have to run the emulator as root, though. First, lets check what pSX is using as the sound device when run as a regular user. run this from the terminal:
    Code:
    grep Device= ~/.pSX/psx.ini
    the output should be the phrase "Device=", which may or may not be followed be some gibberish. If it's followed by some gibberish, like this:
    Device=7c2c7ba0
    Then running as root may have solved the problem. Try running ./pSX without sudo. If that didn't work, see if running the emulator as root set up a config file for root:
    Code:
    grep Device= /root/.pSX/psx.ini
    If the earlier command just had Device=, but this one had some gibberish after it, copy that gibberish, then run this command
    gedit ~/.pSX/psx.ini
    then locate "Device=" and paste the gibberish there. That should fix it all up.

After I did all this stuff, I still had trouble getting pSX to run until I started including running it like this:
    Code:
    /home/tails/emulation/pSX/pSX /home/tails/emulation/psx_disks/symphony_of_the_night/symphony_of_the_night.bin
    In simpler terms, like this:
    Code:
    path/to/pSX /path/to/cdimage
    I know, that's kind of sloppy, and no one wants to run programs from the terminal every time, but I've managed to turn it into something clean and sexy. Check a little further down on setting up sexy icons and lanuchers.

references:
    note: a couple of these are instructions on getting pSX installed on an AMD64 system. They're pretty solid, but a little old.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1146830
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=394097
    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/install-ps...ntu-amd64.html
    http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/
    Last edited by sp0tz; May 25th, 2009 at 08:08 PM.
    ~.~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Making pSX Sexy:
    Now, pSX should be up and running, if a bit sloppy. Check this out, though.
    Nice, no? It's pretty easy to set up.

1. create a folder and some launchers:
    Open the pSX folder and make a folder in it. Call it whatever you like, though you can't go wrong with a name like launchers. Now right click an open spot on a panel and click add to panel. In the window that pops up, choose custom application launcher. For type, set to location. Then click browse and browse to the folder you just made.
    Now, right click somewhere on the desktop and select create launcher. This time, set Type to application. For the command, use the path to the pSX binary (~/pSX/pSX for example) and the path to the disk image (~/pSX/cdimages/symphony_of_the_night.bin for example) seperated by a space. So:
    Code:
    ~/pSX/pSX ~/pSX/cdimate/symphony_of_the_night.bin
    could be one of them. Make as many as you have disks and you're just about done.

2. Give the launchers new icons.
    I've attached the icon I use. If you'd like to use it, make this folder:
    /usr/share/icons/custom/
    Then grab the attached icon and drop it in there. If you right click on a launcher and open it's properties, you can click on the icon to change it. Browse to the folder you just created, select the icon and click open. Now the pSX emulator should be up and running, and pretty sexy to boot.

I could use some feedback on this, so feel free to post whatever you'd like.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sp0tz; May 25th, 2009 at 08:09 PM.
    ~.~

Beans

Edit: Ah hell, it works!
    Last edited by Mr. Bane; May 29th, 2009 at 04:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I just can't get the damn thing to run no matter what I do.
    It never fills in the Device line ever so I can't copy it. >.>
    If there were just a way to disable sound I'd just do that for the time being.

I've been trying to find an alternate to epsxe since updating to Jaunty as it has a few strange issues that I can't resolve.
    Pcsx is out of the question as it has a rendering issue that causes floor textures to be white regardless of plugin used.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by hikaricore View Post
    Pcsx is out of the question as it has a rendering issue that causes floor textures to be white regardless of plugin used.
    I don't want to derail the thread, but did you try the latest version of pcsx-df?
    http://pcsx-df.sourceforge.net/
    I posted a 32-bit deb here
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...40&postcount=8
    The idea of copyright did not exist in ancient times, when authors frequently copied other authors at length in works of non-fiction. This practice was useful, and is the only way many authors' works have survived even in part. -- Richard Stallman

Beans
    Distro

Yups that's the one I'm using.
    It's just bizare.. I've tried every single video plugin including software rendering and the floor is still pure white.
    Can't for the life of me figure it out as epsxe doesn't do this even with the same plugins.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Wait, it won't run even when you run it with sudo? Did you run
    sudo killall pulseaudio
    first? Can you copy n paste the terminal output?

If it can run with sudo, but never populates the config file with the new Device=
    line, you might try running pSX as root once or twice to see if it edits the config file then. Ubuntu doesn't activate the root account by default, so you'd have to run
    sudo passwd root
    and give it a password before logging in as root. If you'd like to do that, after you've set up a root account, run
    su
    from the terminal, then enter the password you just made for root. Run pSX a few times, change the device through the gui, click apply, etc. Then exit pSX and type in
    exit
    as root to get back to a regular terminal.

Was that helpful?
    ~.~

Beans
    Distro

I appreciate the advice and I'll keep trying, but I'm quite familiar with troubleshooting steps. ^_^ I've been here a long long time.
    With or without pulse running and reguardless of root pSX will not run. It crashes with a seg fault EVERY single time no matter what.

I always add a root account to my systems so that's not an issue.
    I even logged into my root account and ran an Xsession to test pSX to no avail.

Sorry but I don't think you're going to be able to help in this case.
    I'll just need to wait til pSX resolves it's sound issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

That's cool. I may be a software QA tester by trade, but I don't take my job very seriously.

edit: that may have sounded snarky, but I meant it in a lighthearted manner.
    Last edited by sp0tz; May 31st, 2009 at 12:25 AM.
    ~.~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast