Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Thank you. This solved my problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

THANKS A MILLION. Mate...you are my hero. this worked a treat. I got to the end of problem 3 and all works well. it was a DNS hosts problem. Now my ubuntu systems (3) can see each other and the ******* computers (2). the good part? ******* can not see the ubuntu systems...hahahahaha....! at least if a virus gets past the poor excuse for security in *******, it will not pass it on to the rest of the network.

Man, I am sooooooo happy.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I was getting "Failed to retrieve share list from server" error when I try to browse Windows workgroups at my office and therefore I was not able to use shared printers. I use Ubuntu 10.10. I followed your "Problem 3" (all parts) HOWTO and my problem is resolved! This was giving me a headache... Thank you very much!

Beans

Thank you for this post, I was baffled as to why I could no longer browse Windows Shares when it worked perfectly for 2 days with NO changes done at all. (Ubuntu 10.10 with all latest updates).

Then I tried disabling ufw firewall (never configured by me) and everything, nothing worked.

I was even debating a reinstall of Ubuntu because I browse Win shares a fair amount.

Though finally solution 3 fixed it, and not only that made it better and faster than before.

Like instead of wait 5-10 seconds after clicking a computer, instantly almost it comes up.
    Last edited by RedPenguin; January 2nd, 2011 at 05:53 AM.

Beans

Thanks for posting this. Following the steps through to Problem 3 solved a problem that had me tearing out the last few hairs from my already bald head!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MysticOdin View Post
    Uninstall Live-ID sign in assistant, worked for me after about a week of trying everything.
    Worked great for me too! Finally!

Beans

You know for a zero configuration utility it sure does take some configuration...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by last1 View Post
    You know for a zero configuration utility it sure does take some configuration...
    I would hardly call samba a zero configuration utility. Sometimes it is, but (as is noted in this tutorial) even on Windows it often needs a great deal of attention and configuration to work correctly.

Beans

Ok but we do have a zero configuration utility built into the distro, right? Isn't Avahi supposed to eliminate the need to mess with configuring stuff when doing something on a LAN?

Beans

I have a Windows XP SP3 desktop pc which can connect to shares on my Ubuntu laptop. However although I could see Windows shares on my desktop, I kept getting Unable to mount location: Failed to retrieve share list from server when I tried to connect to my desktop pc shares from my laptop. I finally gained access by following the instructions on this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177078. I increased IRPStackSize by 3 and after rebooting, I can access windows shares on my desktop from my Ubuntu 10.10 laptop.

Page 49 of 61 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast