Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 105058596061 LastLast

Thread: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Beans

Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

You rock! Thank you for this. Worked like a charm on crunchbang 10.

Beans

thank you, solve my problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by emil_donca View Post
    Hi!!
    Turns out the culprit was a CISCO VPN software that does some firewalling of its own. After removing it ping works fine AND ALL WINDOWS SHARES CAN BE BROWSED FROM NAUTILUS!! hooray

--hope this helps somebody,
    Emil
    Man, you saved the rest of my hairs from being pulled out in rage. I've spent 3 days tweaking samba and nsswitch without any success until I found your post. This stuped cisco anyconnect indeed somehow spoils windows shares browsing. '/etc/init.d/vpnagentd stop' resolved the issue.

Cheers, Emil.

Beans

Thank you for this comprehensive guide! I have been combing the net for a few days trying to solve this problem. Every other guide wanted to only address your Problem 2. I would only get the error intermittently. So, obviously that wasn't the fix I needed and, for the life of me, I could not pin down the culprit. Turned out to be the Windows LIVE software that came with the Wife's laptop!! I uninstalled all LIVE components, restarted and BAM! Worked.

Running 12.04LTS on mine and Win7 on the Wife's laptop.
    Last edited by CharlesA; June 7th, 2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: snipped Windows rage

Beans

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you want to use wins in the nsswitch file, don't you need to have a wins server on the network? This post doesn't mention that for what I could tell. Maybe I over looked it. Oops! I did (Wins Support = Yes).
    Last edited by axismann; June 14th, 2013 at 10:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by axismann View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but if you want to use wins in the nsswitch file, don't you need to have a wins server on the network? This post doesn't mention that for what I could tell. Maybe I over looked it. Oops! I did (Wins Support = Yes).
    In "Problem 3 - Part 2", my tutorial mentions that you need to install winbind for name resolution. Winbind is (among other things) a wins server. If you have a Windows machine on the network, then the Windows machine will have a wins server. There is a lot more to configuring a wins server than adding "Wins Support = yes" to the smb.conf file. You'll need to correctly configure nmbd and learn about "domain master", "local master", "local master browser", and "domain master browser", and how to identify and configure them. Otherwise your local Windows machines will wreak havoc on your NetBIOS name resolution.

To correctly configure nmbd for name browsing support, you'll need to do a lot of digging through here: http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...-3/nmbd.8.html

And here:
    http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...mb.conf.5.html

Otherwise, I suggest turning off "wins support" in smb.conf and using winbind instead, because it mostly works out of the box in the largest variety of networking situations.

See also my post here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post11612737
    And here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...3#post11850323
    Last edited by dmizer; July 1st, 2013 at 03:29 PM.

Beans

Oh, come on it can't be this complicated!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

99% of the time it isn't!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerunrbunny View Post
    Oh, come on it can't be this complicated!
    It looks complicated because:
    1. It is an omnibus tutorial which was created to provide fixes for more than one common NetBIOS resolution problem.
    2. It's wordy because I took a lot of time explaining the "why" of the problems in hopes that people could find their own answers if mine did not fix their particular problem.
    3. It addresses problems and fixes that changed across several versions of Ubuntu, some of which are out of date but I no longer have the time, motivation, nor experience to maintain the original tutorial.

Beans

Is this tutorial supposed to work with Windows 8 and Ubuntu 13.04? Cause, I just tried it and it does not work.... Any ideas of what might be going wrong? I would post my smb.conf file, but it is the same as the default except for the changes that you have mentioned.

Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 105058596061 LastLast