Page 18 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

First off, thanks dmizer for refering me to this post from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...50#post8152650

Anyways, I followed this through, and before doing so, I'd go to places> network> Windows Network and I couldn't open it, it would say "Failed to retrieve share list from server"

After following this guide, I got a little bit further. Once I went to Places> Network I could see my computer name which was the netbios name. I could also open up Windows Network only to find my computer listed in it. When I try to browse to the computer by using smb://192.168.0.4/ it gives me the same error, "Failed to retrieve share list from server"

Before I try adding the IP address for the Machines in /etc/hosts I need to know if having static IPs for all 3 machines will make a difference in putting wins before dns in that particular file?

I read this guide and the one here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=288534 but I didn't go any further than that step because I don't know what to do with static IPs if its any different. From what I understand it should be easier to find the PCs on the network if the IP is static right?

The other two computers can see each other and access their files. One has XP the other has windows 7.

EDIT:

whatever happened to the simplicity of 9.04 and below? Just right click > share, install the needed files and presto. *sigh*

I've added the firewall rules in ufw for my IP range to allow the ports. Anything else I should check on? The firewalls in the Windows PCs are already allowing network sharing through.
    Last edited by psycho5; October 24th, 2009 at 06:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by psycho5 View Post
    I read this guide and the one here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=288534 but I didn't go any further than that step because I don't know what to do with static IPs if its any different. From what I understand it should be easier to find the PCs on the network if the IP is static right?
    Just use the /etc/hosts file if you have a static network.

Please post the output of:
    Code:
    smbtree
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho5 View Post
    whatever happened to the simplicity of 9.04 and below? Just right click > share, install the needed files and presto. *sigh*
    This problem has been ongoing. It's not new. Note the creation date of this thread ... May 25th, 2009. I also created this tutorial: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=288534 way back in October 2006 because of the same problem. I've really had very little luck getting the Nautilus share browsing to work correctly in any of the Ubuntu releases. It's the main reason why I know so much about it ... I have to constantly tinker with it to keep it working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Interesting. Tried smbtree command out too. As you can see I see all computers and shares there. But still can't access them from Nautilus' Network.

Code:
    WORKGROUP
    	\\PRIIT-PC       		
    		\\PRIIT-PC\Users          	
    		\\PRIIT-PC\Public         	
    		\\PRIIT-PC\print$         	Printer Drivers
    		\\PRIIT-PC\IPC$           	Remote IPC
    		\\PRIIT-PC\Canon MP160    	Canon MP160 Printer
    		\\PRIIT-PC\C$             	Default share
    		\\PRIIT-PC\ADMIN$         	Remote Admin
    	\\PRIIT-LAPTOP   		priit-laptop
    		\\PRIIT-LAPTOP\public         	
    		\\PRIIT-LAPTOP\IPC$           	IPC Service (priit-laptop)
    	\\PIRET-LAPTOP   		
    		\\PIRET-LAPTOP\SharedDocs     	
    		\\PIRET-LAPTOP\print$         	Printer Drivers
    		\\PIRET-LAPTOP\IPC$           	Remote IPC
    || Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook S7110 | Genuine Intel CPU T2500 @ 2GHz | 80GB HDD | 3GB DDR2 | Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express | 2.6.31-14-generic (Karmic Koala) ||

Beans
    Distro

You should be able to mount the share with CIFS. Please see the 2nd link in my sig. I know it looks more difficult than simply browsing to your share in Nautilus, but at this point you'll probably have more success that way.

Beans
    Distro

Upgraded to Karmic and now I can't connect to my samba shares. I can find it through network, and if I double click on the folder then the system mounts it, but I can't get it to mount in fstab neither manually using mount -t.

I edited smb.conf and changed workgroup to meet the workgroup of the windows machine. Then I try to mount manually:
    Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //netbiosname/sharename /media/sharename -o guest,rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
    it gives no errors, and I can see the mounted folder on media/sharename, but there are no files inside, or I can't see them. However, in nautilus statusbar I can see the freespace in the windows share.

Any idea?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pototo View Post
    Upgraded to Karmic and now I can't connect to my samba shares. I can find it through network, and if I double click on the folder then the system mounts it, but I can't get it to mount in fstab neither manually using mount -t.

I edited smb.conf and changed workgroup to meet the workgroup of the windows machine. Then I try to mount manually:
    Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //netbiosname/sharename /media/sharename -o guest,rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
    it gives no errors, and I can see the mounted folder on media/sharename, but there are no files inside, or I can't see them. However, in nautilus statusbar I can see the freespace in the windows share.

Any idea?
    Please see the 2nd link in my sig. Refer to the "Troubleshooting" section where it says: Files owned by root / "The folder contents could not be displayed"

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for your quick reply, dmizer.

I tried your sollution, but it doesn't work. This is my fstab:
    Code:
    //netbiosname/sharename /media/sharename cifs guest,gid=1000,uid=1000,nounix,rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    I also tried mounting on /home/user/sharename instead of /media/sharename with the same result.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi

I read your first post in this thread, did everything according to it, but am still not able to browse the Windows Network in Nautilus.

However browsing with IPS e.g. smb://192.168.1.35/ works fine

I am having trouble browsing smb://nathan/, nathan is the name of the windows xp home box i want to connect to. This name is already listed in /etc/hosts.

Since i shut down my firewall completely, browsing the Windows Network on Nautilus at least shows me the network hosts.

Although browsing them leads to the error: Unable to mount location. Failed to retrieve share list from server. Please select another viewer.

I have to add, that the samba ports are opened up (137,138 udp samba / 139,445 tcp samba) So activating the gufw and/or ufw should not be a problem.

Do you have advice? smb.conf is attatched as .txt.

Thanks a lot.
    Athlan
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Athlan; October 26th, 2009 at 12:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hallo everyone.
    I haven't read this thread all the way through, so my apologies if I am suggesting something that everyone already knows about.

Using my Desktop PC with Ubuntu Studio 9.04,
    I have not been able to see samba shares on my NAS and my Vista laptop for a couple of months now.
    I had time to look at it again today, and found these:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ba/+bug/375593

https://bugs.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/389909

I changed the smb.conf file as suggested, and was successful.
    The explanation there "feels" right to me, based on how the computer has been behaving.

Michael
    Last edited by audiomick; October 28th, 2009 at 02:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by audiomick View Post
    Hallo everyone.
    I haven't read this thread all the way through, so my apologies if I am suggesting something that everyone already knows about.

Using my Desktop PC with Ubuntu Studio 9.04,
    I have not been able to see samba shares on my NAS and my Vista laptop for a couple of months now.
    I had time to look at it again today, and found these:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ba/+bug/375593

https://bugs.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/389909

I changed the smb.conf file as suggested, and was successful.
    The explanation there "feels" right to me, based on how the computer has been behaving.

Michael
    Included this information under "Problem 3 - Jaunty/Karmic"

Page 18 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast