Page 16 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Quote Originally Posted by amegg View Post
    ... when I add wins to nsswitch.conf system boot halts on samba starting ...
    Solving this will solve your problem. I've seen this several times with others, but I have not been able to determine why.

Are you using a static network? What's your current smb.conf file look like?

Beans

Thanks Dmizer. I've been on this for days and I was going to go back to windows entirely. This information was the best I could find for my case and I am up and running with my network. Great work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

That would almost certainly point to a problem with the XP computer.
    yes! problem found. thanks to lorjack at tech support forums:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/netw...0x80070005.htm

just change reg entry restrictanonymous from 1 to 0

thanks for your input dmizer

Beans

I was using a static IP, but then after remembering to reserve the IP in my router and also assign a name there I have it set to DHCP again and I am going to put wins back into nsswitch.conf. It doesn't really matter at this point since my router serves the name I want for the machine now.

Thank you for the guide and for the help. This was a big help.

Beans

I just wanted to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

I have been banging my head against a brick wall for months trying to get Ubuntu to see windows. Windows could see Ubuntu but not vice versa. Now by following your guidance I can

YIPPPEEE!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I had problems with Network too so I tried your tips.
    I got my laptop to show up on Windows XP installation and also Windows XP can see my laptop's shared folder and access it. The problem is still with my Windows 7 installation. I can see the computer and shared folder in Ubuntu (and also in XP) but I'm unable to access it. In Ubuntu I get "Unable to mount locaion. Failed to retrieve share list from server."
    Tho I'm able to connect to the shared folder on Windows 7 machine with smb://IP_ADDRESS/SHARE. But I'd prefer browsing from Nautilus.
    Also my Ubuntu doesn't show up on Windows 7 installation.
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by Aero-Z; October 21st, 2009 at 08:28 PM.
    || Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook S7110 | Genuine Intel CPU T2500 @ 2GHz | 80GB HDD | 3GB DDR2 | Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express | 2.6.31-14-generic (Karmic Koala) ||

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Aero-Z View Post
    In Ubuntu I get "Unable to mount locaion. Failed to retrieve share list from server."
    This is almost always related to a firewall problem. Check for and correctly configure your firewalls on both your Ubuntu and your Win7 machines.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    This is almost always related to a firewall problem. Check for and correctly configure your firewalls on both your Ubuntu and your Win7 machines.
    File and printer sharing is allowed through the firewall. File sharing and discovery is working between two Windows 7 computers tho.
    Maybe I have to add custom ports to Windows 7's firewall?
    Also I can print from Ubuntu and XP machine to the printer which is connected locally to the Windows 7 machine (shared printer).
    Last edited by Aero-Z; October 22nd, 2009 at 09:58 AM.
    || Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook S7110 | Genuine Intel CPU T2500 @ 2GHz | 80GB HDD | 3GB DDR2 | Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express | 2.6.31-14-generic (Karmic Koala) ||

Beans
    Distro

File and printer sharing is allowed through the firewall. File sharing and discovery is working between two Windows 7 computers tho.
    For obvious reasons, Windows computers cooperate better with other Windows computers.

Maybe I have to add custom ports to Windows 7's firewall?
    Try completely disabling the firewall on the Windows 7 machine before trying to go through the effort of making custom ports.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    For obvious reasons, Windows computers cooperate better with other Windows computers.

Try completely disabling the firewall on the Windows 7 machine before trying to go through the effort of making custom ports.
    Still got the same problem after disabling the firewall.

Page 16 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast