Thanks dmizer,

The solutions you gave for problems #2 and #3 worked for me

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Quote Originally Posted by mickeythemoke View Post
    I have a Windows XP SP3 desktop pc which can connect to shares on my Ubuntu laptop. However although I could see Windows shares on my desktop, I kept getting Unable to mount location: Failed to retrieve share list from server when I tried to connect to my desktop pc shares from my laptop. I finally gained access by following the instructions on this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177078. I increased IRPStackSize by 3 and after rebooting, I can access windows shares on my desktop from my Ubuntu 10.10 laptop.
    Thank you for this. I will work on adding it to the tutorial. I will also add it to my samba mount tutorial if that's agreeable.
    Last edited by dmizer; January 28th, 2011 at 04:17 PM.

Beans

Thank you for the list.

My Samba browsing worked for a while after I upgraded one of my computers to Windows 7, and then suddenly stopped. Both he Win 7 and Ubuntu box changed a lot in the few days before it stopped working, couldn't tell what it was.

Solution for me was in Problem 5. I had something called Windows Live Essentials 2011 installed. Figured the Live Sign-in might be part of that. As soon as I clicked on it to uninstall, Windows reported that the software was not working properly and should be un-installed and re-installed.

Uninstalling it let me browse my shares from the Ubuntu box without problems again. I will pass on the re-installation suggested by Windows.

Beans
    Hidden!

Now where did the "thanks" feature of the forum disappear to? Oh..... that's right it was removed some time back...... Another grateful customer here, after being referred from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1538859
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Post Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

greetings

Recently, I have tried to network various computers together.

It works, using Nautilus?
    I can browse share folders, but only if they are all manually shared(the subfolders don't apply), and only if it's in a specific location in the "file system".
    So, it's kind of annoying in a way.
    The main problem is, I have some other hardrives on this computer, and I want complete access to it on the Network, on my laptop etc.
    Whenever I try to share it, it says, Unable to mount location.
    I cannot directly share the hardrive from "Computer" In Nautilus, but only in Media in File System.
    So, it can't mount my hardrives, and thus can't share them on the network.
    I have samba installed and all of that, have tried editing in a few lines in the samba conf file.
    Why is there an issue with sharing certain places ?
    Also, Ubuntu(10.10), seems to have some issues in general with detecting and using hardrives.
    Why does the Main Hardrive Ubuntu is installed on called, "File System", and not actually detected as a hardrive?
    these things are annoying.

Anyway, can someone show me how to share all of my hardrives on all of my computers.
    Is there anyway, since I have the same username and password, to kind of "Remote access" any of the computers on the network... so each computer is controlling each other, depending on purpose.
    Like, they all become "One".
    This seems like a good idea for pretty much any home network, why don't Ubuntu developers create a GUI or a setup of some sort to establish this, rather than command like stuff and editing conf?
    Seems a basic thing.

Thanks in advance.

Beans

I'll summarize my Question/how-to.

I want to be able to share all of my hardrives on the network, but when I try to browse the Hardrives on the network, it says "Unable to mount location" - even though locally, it is mounted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by christosophia View Post
    I'll summarize my Question/how-to.

I want to be able to share all of my hardrives on the network, but when I try to browse the Hardrives on the network, it says "Unable to mount location" - even though locally, it is mounted.
    Your question is the opposite of what this tutorial attempts to solve. I suggest you open a new thread for help with your problem.

That said, you'll probably have to create hard mounts in /etc/fstab for all of your hard drives before you can share them via Nautilus.

Beans

Many, many thanks, dmizer

Your steps 1 thru 3 did the trick for my shares running both Ubuntu and Windows 7 in 64-bit. My network is now complete. You're definitely the man!

Beans

I just want to add my thanks for putting together such a comprehensive and easily followed procedure. I get very frustrated when I get Linux installed and then can't move forward because of what seem like small things like this that really should "just work". It took me a long time to hit on the right search phrase to find this, but it was worth it because it had all the information that I needed.

In my case, I have a home network of Windows XP & 7 and Ubuntu 7.10, 10.04 LTS & 10.10. Everything had "just worked" when I installed 10.04, but in hindsight I realize that I didn't have Windows 7 in the mix. When I installed 10.10 I discovered that I could not browse the workgroup with 10.04 or 10.10 even thought 10.04 had worked previously.

For 10.04 I had to do the steps in Problem 2 - part 1 & 2 and Problem 3 - part 1. For 10.10 I had to do all of these plus Problem 3 - part 2.

Thanks again for this resource. You have no idea how much it is appreciated and how much frustration this has saved!

Beans

Thanks!

redirected from google search, had to do all the parts for 10.10

I should mention that I had performed a minimal install of Ubuntu 10.10, so it didn't come with smb installed. This tutorial was easy to follow and within 5 minutes I was browsing my XP machine.
    Last edited by CDL-WarChilde; February 19th, 2011 at 10:04 PM. Reason: ninja edit

Page 50 of 61 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast