Page 7 of 61 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Beans

Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

I'm sorry, I'm a super newb. I'm trying to access another computer's shared files on the network. I'm on problem 2 of your tut, the part that says:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
    I typed that in and it prints out
    Code:
    sudo: /etc/init.d/samba: command not found
    What am I doing wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Fuitab View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm a super newb. I'm trying to access another computer's shared files on the network. I'm on problem 2 of your tut, the part that says:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
    I typed that in and it prints out
    Code:
    sudo: /etc/init.d/samba: command not found
    What am I doing wrong?
    It just means you probably don't have the samba package installed. You can do one of two things at this point, install samba:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install samba
    or try rebooting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I just wanted to add to your tutorial that it's actually easy to change the workgroup using webmin - it allows you to configure your samba server in firefox through GUI.
    anyways i can't browse any network resources for some reason.. but it's not like in the tutorial .. just clicking on network gives me an error it's not like the shared folders don't appear or I can't access them .. I can't even open up network. is anyone expiriencing the same problem?
    I am using ubuntu 9.04 - all windows pcs can access my shared folders I set up with samba but I can't access the whole network - can't even browse myself (smb://[my pc name] )

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oc999 View Post
    I just wanted to add to your tutorial that it's actually easy to change the workgroup using webmin - it allows you to configure your samba server in firefox through GUI.
    anyways i can't browse any network resources for some reason.. but it's not like in the tutorial .. just clicking on network gives me an error it's not like the shared folders don't appear or I can't access them .. I can't even open up network. is anyone expiriencing the same problem?
    I am using ubuntu 9.04 - all windows pcs can access my shared folders I set up with samba but I can't access the whole network - can't even browse myself (smb://[my pc name] )
    Webmin is not supported in Ubuntu and may be the source of your problems. It also sounds like you may have a firewall misconfiguration. Can you post the output of:
    Code:
    sudo iptables -L
    More information on Webmin: https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/u...+question/2873
    Last edited by dmizer; June 24th, 2009 at 03:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro

ok I'll try deinstalling webmin .. I didn't know its not supported .. I watched a video-tutorial on setting up apache2 webserver & ftp on ubuntu and they used webmin so .. sorry .. my fault then

this is my result of sudo iptables -L
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    edit : deinstalled webmin - still the same problem - no network-browsing possible. is it possible that webmin caused damage I can't solve by deinstalling it ?
    Last edited by oc999; June 24th, 2009 at 04:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro

There might be something funny in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file, doesn't look like there's a firewall interfering.

Try this:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install samba smbfs
    Then post the output of:
    Code:
    smbtree

Beans
    Distro

smbtree gives me this :
    Code:
    OC999
        \\OC999                  oc999 server (Samba, Ubuntu)
            \\OC999\movies             
            \\OC999\mp3s               
            \\OC999\IPC$               IPC Service (oc999 server (Samba, Ubuntu))
            \\OC999\print$             Printer Drivers
    Last edited by dmizer; June 25th, 2009 at 12:19 AM. Reason: changed quote to code to retain spacing.

Beans

Hi and thanks for all your help. I have followed your tutorial, and checked and rechecked all my typing, but when when I run sudo mount -a, I still get:

mount error 2 = No such file or directory

I know it I must be doing something wrong, but what? I really need to be able to see my Windows XP machine on my LAN. BTW, I am using 8.04 (since 9.04 didn't like my graphics adapter at all).

Thanks again,

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oc999 View Post
    smbtree gives me this :
    Code:
    OC999
        \\OC999                  oc999 server (Samba, Ubuntu)
            \\OC999\movies             
            \\OC999\mp3s               
            \\OC999\IPC$               IPC Service (oc999 server (Samba, Ubuntu))
            \\OC999\print$             Printer Drivers
    You said you get an error from simply clicking on a network resource. What is the exact phrasing of the error?

Open up a terminal and type:
    Code:
    nautilus
    Then try to browse to your network share in nautilus (type smb://OC999/movies for example). Then if you still get an error, check the output in the terminal to see if it gives more information.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by juliet charley View Post
    Hi and thanks for all your help. I have followed your tutorial, and checked and rechecked all my typing, but when when I run sudo mount -a, I still get:

mount error 2 = No such file or directory

I know it I must be doing something wrong, but what? I really need to be able to see my Windows XP machine on my LAN. BTW, I am using 8.04 (since 9.04 didn't like my graphics adapter at all).

Thanks again,
    It sounds like you're trying to mount via /etc/fstab? If you don't need to access the share via places > connect to server, then please see the 2nd link in my sig. That should help you resolve the above error.

If you still experience that problem, then please post in that tutorial rather than here.

Page 7 of 61 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast