Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Beans

Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Just wanted to give you a big "THANK YOU" for this information. I've been pulling my hair out (what's left of it) over sharing in a mixed network. This did the trick and I can see files between all my machines.

Beans

Thank you for the info, this thread was helpful.

What ended up being my main problem on 10.04 LTS was long hostnames. My shares and server were not visible to any other machines on the network. I was able to connect with \\ip\sharename but browsing for them was giving me nothing. Even 'smbtree -N' on the machine I was trying to configure would not show its own shares. Finally I noticed that my hostname was getting trucated in smbclient -L localhost. So I changed it from jason-desktop-linux to desktop-linux and everything fell into place after that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have a desktop (running Win 7) and a laptop (running Natty), both connected via a wireless network.

After following the steps outlined in post #1, I am able to access Linux shares from Win 7.

But I am not able to access Win 7 shares from Natty, although I do see the Win 7 system in 'Windows shares' in Nautilus. When I click on the Win-7 machine, I get this error message

Code:
    Unable to mount location
    Failed to retrieve share list from server
    I don't have Windows Live Sign In assistant and have also disabled the antivirus on the Win 7 machine.
    http://xkcd.com/903/
    Registered Linux User #280857
    Registered Ubuntu User #33646

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by maverick280857 View Post
    I have a desktop (running Win 7) and a laptop (running Natty), both connected via a wireless network.

After following the steps outlined in post #1, I am able to access Linux shares from Win 7.

But I am not able to access Win 7 shares from Natty, although I do see the Win 7 system in 'Windows shares' in Nautilus. When I click on the Win-7 machine, I get this error message

Code:
    Unable to mount location
    I don't have Windows Live Sign In assistant and have also disabled the antivirus on the Win 7 machine.
    Have you tried this yet? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177078

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Yeah. And I even disabled the antivirus software.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah. And I even disabled the antivirus software.
    Other possible causes include:

The problem with this error is that it's generic. There's no useful information provided as to what the real cause is, so it's extremely difficult to give solutions. You may find more information by looking in the logs at /var/log/

Beans
    Distro

Do you think this has to do with both systems being on a wireless network? I am able to access Windows shares from Ubuntu when both systems are on a wired network. But when on a wireless network, Ubuntu can't access Windows shares.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Being on a wireless network should make no difference to file sharing.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    Being on a wireless network should make no difference to file sharing.
    Correct, this should make no difference, but I have certainly seen many people with this problem. The same computer can connect when wired, but not when wireless.

Do you think this has to do with both systems being on a wireless network? I am able to access Windows shares from Ubuntu when both systems are on a wired network. But when on a wireless network, Ubuntu can't access Windows shares.
    I have seen many people reporting this behavior before, wired works and wireless does not. Try checking to make sure that the firewall on the Ubuntu machines are not active when connected wirelessly.

Beans

Code:
    Unable to mount location
    I've been battling this with my Win 7 machine and 3 Ubuntu machines. This happens randomly where the Ubuntu machines cannot see Windows shares. I find a reboot of the Win machine fixes it most times. Either that or a change in wind direction etc etc

Very irritating, have tried everything online about the issue, more annoying is that it is random and doesn't happen all the time.

Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast