Page 47 of 61 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Quote Originally Posted by WildeBeest View Post
    How do I tell? I configured Samba the same as my Jaunty machine. Only my router should be the DNS server.
    Interesting. My network includes Windows XP, Lucid and Maverick. Every machine has a share, every machine can see every share. I have never "configured Samba."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Code:
    Try logging on as user guest, and no password.
    No go. The password dialog just keeps reappearing.

Code:
    If that doesn't work then double check for any firewalls or an anti-virus which may be interfering with the connection.
    Turned off all firewalls and anti-virus, Still no go.

Any other ideas?

Beans

I am having issues connecting to all windows shares with ubuntu 10.10. All windows machines can connect to my samba share. I am using ubuntu 10.10 as a guest operating system with Virtual Box 3.2.10 r66523. Networking is set to bridged on the virtual machine, so it would be obtaining a separate ip address from the host operating system ( windows 7 ).

I have followed the instructions on the first page. My issue seems to be that I just can't log into the share "Password required for 192.168.0.102". I've created an smb user with the same username/password as the windows username/password for the share, (sudo smbpasswd -a dgilloch) however it seems the credentials are not accepted because the "Password required for 192.168.0.102" requiring username, domain and password pops up.

I've turned off my windows firewall completely and flushed iptables, as well as disable my antivirus on the windows side.
    Something strange that I've noticed is /etc/samba/smbusers is completely blank.

-- I've used previous versions of ubuntu as guest operating systems and not had this issue before. It seems very strange. I can supply logs or results of any commands, if needed. I appreciate any help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

hello, anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

hello, anyone?
    I am working on this now, but I don't have a solution for you. If it means anything, I'm having the same problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Code:
    Try logging on as user guest, and no password.
    No go. The password dialog just keeps reappearing.

Code:
    If that doesn't work then double check for any firewalls or an anti-virus which may be interfering with the connection.
    Turned off all firewalls and anti-virus, Still no go.

Any other ideas?
    Are you able to get connected if you go to Places > Connect to server ... change the "service type" to Window's share and enter the share information?

Beans

Smile Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Hello after reading trough this thread i finally got my networking with windows pc to work!

BUT! i tried everything in the first post and ended up with diffrent results every time.

the mpst annoying thing was when i used the problem 3 solution adding wins to the config, i got weird internet delays etc.

BUT!!!!! after reading trough all the replies etc i ended up seeing that dmizer said something interesting in post #15.
    -------------------------------------------------------

Re: Can't connect to SAMBA share via Jaunty
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peter09
    Add wins after dns
    This is incorrect. WINS should be before DNS. Some DNS providers (like OpenDNS) forward unknown DNS queries to a "did you mean" search page. To the system, this counts as a resolved host name. So in this situation, if DNS is queried before WINS then you will get a failure when trying to browse networked systems. This is becoming more and more popular by many ISP's because it's one way of avoiding typo-squatting.

------------------------------------------------------

and there it is! my dlink router had the advanced dns option set to on! and that caused the cant browse the network problem!

This could be something to put as a checklist in the first post. something like make sure if you have a router that it dosent forward bad dns queries!

Now it works great for me without fiddeling with the config files

for the record on dlink routers you can find the advanced dns option under SETUP->INTERNET->MANUAL INTERNET CONFIG.

just wanted to share this discovery (im new to ubuntu), and maybe this can help someone else
    Last edited by dmizer; November 29th, 2010 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Add link to quoted post

Beans

Hello,

I had a previous post and I've found my own answer. I'm extremely shocked to find out that the cause of this issue was not from Microsoft security essentials, windows firewall, security policy or my share settings (on windows 7). However, I have just uninstalled live essentials ( windows messenger ) and I am now able to connect to windows 7 shares from my Ubuntu 10.10 client.

I am still shocked that this is causing this problem.

Beans

I finally got this working, yet I did not have advanced DNS turned on. In my situation, the:

Use Unicasting : (compatibility for some DHCP Servers)

was turned on, when unchecked I am back to normal!

Beans

How can I start samba automatically on boot up of ubuntu?
    Thanks

Page 47 of 61 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast