Page 41 of 61 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

My problem is that windows 7 logs onto both of my ubuntu accounts automatically. I've tried to configure things to require user authentication. I have ubuntu 9.10. Here are the mostly relevant bits of etc/samba/smb.conf. I've followed your win7 instructions here.

Code:
    #======================= Global Settings =======================

[global]

workgroup = usnthem
       server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
       dns proxy = no

####### Authentication #######
       security = user
       encrypt passwords = true
       passdb backend = tdbsam
       obey pam restrictions = yes
       unix password sync = yes
       passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
       passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
       pam password change = yes
       map to guest = bad user

#======================= Share Definitions =======================

[homes]
       comment = Home Directories
       browseable = yes
       read only = no

#  This seems to help
       path = /home
       valid users = %S

This might also be relevant:

Code:
    $ sudo pdbedit -L -w
    nobody:65534:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[U          ]:LCT-00000000:
    mary:1001:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:159EA51341BD0FB531D630F25B2672BD:[U          ]:LCT-4C114AC6:
    mark:1000:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:32C5FA7B2B28B47B6959536DC914C4D0:[U          ]:LCT-4C11755A:
    Win 7 just gives instant access to the complete directory trees of mark and mary without presenting a logon dialog. What am I missing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by memeri View Post
    My problem is that windows 7 logs onto both of my ubuntu accounts automatically. I've tried to configure things to require user authentication. I have ubuntu 9.10. Here are the mostly relevant bits of etc/samba/smb.conf. I've followed your win7 instructions here.
    You are having a problem with Windows accessing Ubuntu, and unfortunately, this thread is only for helping you to access Windows shares from Ubuntu.

Please start a new thread. If you like, you can feel free to post a link here once you have done so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks

Beans

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I would have never found the answer to this frustrating puzzle on my own. Following your guide I was up and browsing my Windows shares in about 15 minutes.

Beans

it's such nice post .that i have register a account to post to thank op.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

DMIZER, After a long hunt over the internet, I finally found this thread. It looks very promising, but before I attempt to fix my Windows sharing problem on 10.04 with an XP, Vista and Win7 computers on the LAN, I have two questions.

First I have undone all changes suggested by others (that did not work) except for one. I want to make sure I start from where everything was when I (recently) installed 10.04. I had done
    sudo apt-get install samba
    sudo service samba restart
    along the way before checking whether it was already installed. The weird thing (to me) was the result of the restart command was
    samba: unrecognized service
    I don't know what that means and I don't know what will happen if I uninstall samba.

Second, I would like to read about manually mounting shares via /etc/fstab stuff that you indicate is available in the "second link in your signature." I am so helpless I cannot even find that.
    Last edited by coyotearms; June 22nd, 2010 at 07:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coyotearms View Post
    along the way before checking whether it was already installed. The weird thing (to me) was the result of the restart command was
    samba: unrecognized service
    I don't know what that means and I don't know what will happen if I uninstall samba.
    In short, don't worry about that error, and don't uninstall samba. The samba server daemon has been updated in 10.04 to samba4, but this shouldn't be a concern of yours if you only want to connect to Windows shares on other computers. Just reboot after making the changes instead of running the "sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart" command.

Second, I would like to read about manually mounting shares via /etc/fstab stuff that you indicate is available in the "second link in your signature." I am so helpless I cannot even find that.
    Signature here
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    V

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    In short, don't worry about that error, and don't uninstall samba. The samba server daemon has been updated in 10.04 to samba4, but this shouldn't be a concern of yours if you only want to connect to Windows shares on other computers. Just reboot after making the changes instead of running the "sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart" command.
    Is samba4 out? The one with active directory like capabilities? Or is it still under process?

Sorry for not relating to the thread. In fact I directly came up to the above quoted post of yours (dmizer) & noticed you mentioning samba4. I'm so excited about it that I couldn't help putting the question.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Dimizer, Unless installing samba uninstalls samba4, the latter was not installed when I did a fresh install of 10.04 since Synaptic Package Manager shows samba4 not installed and without the "package is supported" Ubuntu icon next to it either(?). Nevertheless, if you say sticking with samba and not doing samba4 is o.k., I'm fine with that.

Also, between my first message and your response I implemented your steps 1 through 3, and I have reasonable results, but have a question about them. My setup is three computers all set to workgroup XYZ with Ubuntu on computer A, Vista on computer B wired, and WinXP on computer C wireless. When the Ubuntu computer is wired, single clicking on Network shows all three computers and Windows Network. Double clicking on B or C gets me to those guys. Double clicking on Windows Network gets me to XYZ, and double clicking on it show all three computers again---Great!

If I change the Ubuntu computer to wireless, the results are quite uneven, and frequently I cannot access the other wireless computer C. I have a pretty old D-Link DI-524 Rev. E router/access, but the Ubuntu computer is only a few feet away, and when that computer is booted Win7, these same shares are found really fast. When I do nautilus smb://C from a terminal window, bookmark it and single click on that bookmark, that seems to work better, but not always either. So what is going on that makes the wireless Ubuntu computer behave differently?

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    Is samba4 out? The one with active directory like capabilities? Or is it still under process?

Sorry for not relating to the thread. In fact I directly came up to the above quoted post of yours (dmizer) & noticed you mentioning samba4. I'm so excited about it that I couldn't help putting the question.
    Looks that way for Lucid:
    Code:
    $ aptitude search samba4
    p   samba4                          - LanManager-like file server for Unix (vers
    p   samba4-clients                  - client utilities from Samba 4             
    p   samba4-common-bin               - Samba 4 common files used by both the serv
    p   samba4-dev                      - tools for extending Samba                 
    p   samba4-testsuite                - test suite from Samba 4
    Dimizer, Unless installing samba uninstalls samba4, the latter was not installed when I did a fresh install of 10.04 since Synaptic Package Manager shows samba4 not installed and without the "package is supported" Ubuntu icon next to it either(?). Nevertheless, if you say sticking with samba and not doing samba4 is o.k., I'm fine with that.

Also, between my first message and your response I implemented your steps 1 through 3, and I have reasonable results, but have a question about them. My setup is three computers all set to workgroup XYZ with Ubuntu on computer A, Vista on computer B wired, and WinXP on computer C wireless. When the Ubuntu computer is wired, single clicking on Network shows all three computers and Windows Network. Double clicking on B or C gets me to those guys. Double clicking on Windows Network gets me to XYZ, and double clicking on it show all three computers again---Great!

If I change the Ubuntu computer to wireless, the results are quite uneven, and frequently I cannot access the other wireless computer C. I have a pretty old D-Link DI-524 Rev. E router/access, but the Ubuntu computer is only a few feet away, and when that computer is booted Win7, these same shares are found really fast. When I do nautilus smb://C from a terminal window, bookmark it and single click on that bookmark, that seems to work better, but not always either. So what is going on that makes the wireless Ubuntu computer behave differently?

Thanks in advance!
    It could be a couple of things. Re-check for a firewall while using Ubuntu wirelessly. Also take a look at your router settings, there could be a wireless security setting interfering with file sharing (I realize that you have an XP working wirelessly, but it can't hurt to check).

Page 41 of 61 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast