Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 610

Thread: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Beans
    2,232

    Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

    I am having a lot of trouble setting this up. I want to be able to access a shared directory on a Win XP host. I have tried to follow all the instructions in the original post of this thread, but it still does not work. I can locate the Windows workgroup in the Network Places app, but when I try to open it is says it cannot find the list of shared directories.

    The Op had this: "Firewalls block Samba browsing. Check all of your Windows computers to make sure that your firewalls allow Samba browsing." How exactly is that done? I am running the ZoneAlarm firewall on my XP host.

    Thanks,
    Tim

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Beans
    2,232

    Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

    Never mind the previous post. I feel so stupid. I re-booted my Ubuntu host, now the filesharing works, perfectly.

    Thank you very much for a great tutorial!

    Tim

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: ubuntu 8.04 to ubuntu 9.04 network

    Quote Originally Posted by radiot View Post
    After previous post I restarted both machines, and both failed to boot properly. I had this same problem earlier tinkering with smb.conf and nsswithc.conf.

    Opteron (9.04) fails to boot to login screen, and it goes to detail screen where it shows firestarter FAIL's to start, and it hangs starting samba daemons.

    Dell (8.04) boots through login screen but between login and desktop error appears: "Internal Error, failed to initialize HAL". I edited smb.conf to fix HAL issue but same error on reboot. I changed nsswitch.conf back to (below) and machine booted normally:

    Code:
    hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return]  dns mdns4
    Getting back into Opteron more tricky. I used live cd to get into machine and edited nsswitch.conf and rebooted as normal.

    Ah HA, Firestarter is the problem. Please remove it. If you need a firewall, use the default UFW instead. It has a nice GUI interface and all (GUFW).

    If you remove Firestarter, everything should work fine.
    Last edited by dmizer; June 8th, 2009 at 02:17 AM.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

    Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I am having a lot of trouble setting this up. I want to be able to access a shared directory on a Win XP host. I have tried to follow all the instructions in the original post of this thread, but it still does not work. I can locate the Windows workgroup in the Network Places app, but when I try to open it is says it cannot find the list of shared directories.

    The Op had this: "Firewalls block Samba browsing. Check all of your Windows computers to make sure that your firewalls allow Samba browsing." How exactly is that done? I am running the ZoneAlarm firewall on my XP host.

    Thanks,
    Tim
    For opening ports in Zone alarm: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial128.html

    Double check to make sure that the XP firewall is disabled: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283673

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Beans
    26

    Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

    Hey there , i've a strange problem

    am new to ubuntu using 9.04 am connected with windows vista pc
    i used to see it in my network folder .. and i could get in and copy the shared stuff

    the last time i did , i right clicked on the other pc's icon on my ubuntu desktop and chose unmount .. now i can't see it anymore

    note i never installed 'samba'
    [n00b]A Linux user[/n00b]

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

    Quote Originally Posted by mohd View Post
    Hey there , i've a strange problem

    am new to ubuntu using 9.04 am connected with windows vista pc
    i used to see it in my network folder .. and i could get in and copy the shared stuff

    the last time i did , i right clicked on the other pc's icon on my ubuntu desktop and chose unmount .. now i can't see it anymore

    note i never installed 'samba'
    Have you followed all the tips in this howto?

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Beans
    26

    Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

    Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Have you followed all the tips in this howto?
    I tried the tips as in problem 3 , but didn't work
    [n00b]A Linux user[/n00b]

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Beans
    14

    Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

    Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    I didn't see anything glaringly wrong with anything you posted.



    Okay, I found the right log. Please try restarting winbind:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/winbind restart
    Then post the contents of:
    Code:
    /var/log/samba/log.winbindd
    log.windbindd is empty after restarting winbind. I don't understand how it can restart when I uninstalled it, though, since it prevented my system from starting up after installing it.

    I have been able to overcome at least most of the problem. I deleted the directory; re-made it in a new directory in my home folder & assigned read-write permissions to all sub-directories/files. I still can't write to the parent directory (Barsoom_Data), though.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

    Quote Originally Posted by jhamric View Post
    log.windbindd is empty after restarting winbind. I don't understand how it can restart when I uninstalled it, though, since it prevented my system from starting up after installing it.

    I have been able to overcome at least most of the problem. I deleted the directory; re-made it in a new directory in my home folder & assigned read-write permissions to all sub-directories/files. I still can't write to the parent directory (Barsoom_Data), though.
    First of all, Winbind did not prevent your computer from starting, Firestarter did.

    Have you looked at the Vista specific information in the howto? I believe it's been updated since you saw it last.

    Otherwise, I'm not sure I can offer much more help unless you remove Firestarter in favor of UFW, and reinstall Winbind.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

    Quote Originally Posted by mohd View Post
    I tried the tips as in problem 3 , but didn't work
    You'll need to follow the solutions provided in all four problems. You may also need to look at the Vista specific information.

Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •