Page 37 of 61 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Quote Originally Posted by Sin@Sin-Sacrifice View Post
    It all works perfectly in Windows 7 so thankfully that's unlikely. I'm thinking it's ndiswrapper considering it doesn't just happen with samba. Thanks for the help anyway...
    I suggest opening a thread in the Networking and Wireless section of the forum. Start with the ndiswrapper stickey in that section. Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I figure I'd post here and see if anyone can help. After buying a new laptop with Windows 7, I am using my desktop, which is running Ubuntu 9.10, as a storage server for my network. My problem seems to be that I can view my Windows 7 laptop and its shares from the Ubuntu computer, but the Windows 7 laptop cannot see the Ubuntu computer (the same applies when I boot the Ubuntu computer into XP). My xbox can see both systems. I tried everything in the guide posted at the beginning of this thread, but to no avail. I also tried following Microsoft's recommended steps, but they did not work either. Does anyone know what may be causing this and how it can be remedied?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by guitarplaya85 View Post
    I figure I'd post here and see if anyone can help. After buying a new laptop with Windows 7, I am using my desktop, which is running Ubuntu 9.10, as a storage server for my network. My problem seems to be that I can view my Windows 7 laptop and its shares from the Ubuntu computer, but the Windows 7 laptop cannot see the Ubuntu computer (the same applies when I boot the Ubuntu computer into XP). My xbox can see both systems. I tried everything in the guide posted at the beginning of this thread, but to no avail. I also tried following Microsoft's recommended steps, but they did not work either. Does anyone know what may be causing this and how it can be remedied?
    Hello,

This thread only deals with viewing files shared from Windows computers. If you are having trouble with Windows being able to view files shared from Ubuntu, you should start a new thread.

When you do start your new thread, be sure to post your /etc/samba/smb.conf file.

Beans

Hey,

I just thought i should thank you for making this Howto.
    My Ubuntu experience reaches a couple of moths back, and i've often been bothered by not beeing able to run SAMBA properly and access the windows shares on my LAN.
    Turns out it was a simple firewall problem... So simple and yet i had to have you to guide me. Anyway, problem solved. Thanks!

Beans

<edit>

Realized that my problem shouldn't be in this thread. Also fixed said problem along the way

</edit>
    Last edited by marcx77; March 12th, 2010 at 09:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

How would I go about sharing a whole drive? I have Windows 7 acting as the server and am using Ubuntu on this laptop. The drive I am wanting to share has nothing but documents like music, videos, etc on it so it isn't a big deal about permissions and stuff. I have some folders on the drive that I am able to successfully mount on Ubuntu but I was unsuccessful doing the same with the drive. When I try to access it I get http://i44.tinypic.com/oum9fm.jpg

Any ideas?
    Last edited by wiz_master49; March 14th, 2010 at 06:51 AM.

RealG187 is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans

When I connect I get "mount error(112): Host is down" and "connection reset by peer" (It shows one or the other)

http://lists.samba.org/archive/linux...il/000792.html
    I am using IP Addresses and am still getting this error

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RealG187 View Post
    When I connect I get "mount error(112): Host is down" and "connection reset by peer" (It shows one or the other)

http://lists.samba.org/archive/linux...il/000792.html
    I am using IP Addresses and am still getting this error
    Have you followed all the directions in the first post? This howto is not about mounting with CIFS. It's about browsing shares with Nautilus. If you want to mount a share with CIFS, please see the 2nd link in my sig and follow the directions there.

It sounds like you have a firewall in the way.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wiz_master49 View Post
    How would I go about sharing a whole drive? I have Windows 7 acting as the server and am using Ubuntu on this laptop. The drive I am wanting to share has nothing but documents like music, videos, etc on it so it isn't a big deal about permissions and stuff. I have some folders on the drive that I am able to successfully mount on Ubuntu but I was unsuccessful doing the same with the drive. When I try to access it I get http://i44.tinypic.com/oum9fm.jpg

Any ideas?
    Sorry for the late reply.

As I suggest in the first post of this thread, you should put everything you want to share in one folder on the drive. Then share that folder.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thank you so much, dmizer!
    I have methodically worked through this whole thread from the top, and have a much better understanding of what I need to do.
    It's still not working, but I'm now confident I'm doing the right things.
    Regards,
    Phil

Page 37 of 61 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast