Page 30 of 61 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

In the host, it is pretty much the default smb.conf. I use kde (though I could also use nautilus) and use the sharing tab under "properties," which adds the share and share name of my chosen folders to the bottom of smb.conf

On occasion I use the terminal to actually mount a share (if I am using a music app like exaile or amarok for instance) to a location. In that case, I use a credentials file with my username and password with gid uid, etc. I DO NOT usually do this though.

In the guest Ubuntu machines, I either use nautilus or dolphin's built in "network" function to see/use my shares. My host box is called "eee-box" so I would open the Network on the left pane, then click "Samba Shares" (Windows Network in nautilus) then "Workgroup" and I have several shared folders that DO show up (MUSIC,VIDEO,PUBLIC) so the address would be for example

smb://eee-box/MUSIC

I of course have made "bookmarks" for these locations within Dolphin/nautilus to save time. Mounting or using fstab is faster but I don't generally have shares mounted for a long time, if I suspend and take my machine to work it doesn't wake properly if I forget to unmount the shares, nor does it shut down quickly. At any rate...

In windows XP Pro, if I browse into Network/Workgroup, the only thing I see on the guest is the guest machine itself (i.e. "thinkpad" and not "eee-box").

Am I making in incorrect assumption that I should also alt least see "eee-box" there? Oddly, on the host Ubuntu machine I do see "thinkpad" but not the shared guest XP machine folder "My Documents" when I "thinkpad" open.

This isn't a huge deal. It is indeed a rare occasion that I use XP. It takes longer to boot with all the security crap that needs to load to protect that OS. I am thinking it is an easy fix though within smb.conf for someone that knows what they are doing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by maestrobwh1 View Post
    I more or less have the reverse issue: I am using Ubuntu on a host and ON OCCASION use XP on a laptop or two with my network. When the laptops are running ubuntu, everything shares fine and all shared host folders are "browse-able" on the ubuntu guests.

However, in Win XP Pro, When I go to use Win Explorer, when I navigate to Workgroup, I only see the laptop machine. The workgroup assigned is "workgroup" as it is in the Ubuntu host.

If posting my smb.conf would be useful, I can easily do that but that takes up a lot of space on the forum page. I can also just post a part of it.

What I have been doing is saving my work in XP, then boot into Ubuntu on the client and either transfer or print. Kind of cumbersome and I know that Samba is supposed to work to let XP (Pro) see the shares/printer.
    It seems that you have a server issue, which this thread really doesn't answer to. You should still follow the steps on the first page, because they can help servers as well, but if you still have problems you should post a new thread.

When you do post a new thread, you'll need to include your entire /etc/samba/smb.conf file. You can keep the post from getting too large by using the [code] tag like so:
    [code]
    /etc/samba/smb.conf
    output
    here
    [/code]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

maestrobwh1 - I don't want to derail dmizer's thread. Post a link to your new thread here and I'll follow you there.
    "We're all in this together, kid." --H. Tuttle (a.k.a. H. Buttle)
    "Maybe it's a layer 8 problem." --thatguruguy
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans

All those settings I've done, except for the installing wins for that. I have pfsense which has a DNS server on it that i am running. Also Was that suppose to fixs my secound problem run my music off the server? Thanks for your help

Beans
    Distro

For music, just run gnump3d: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/streaming-...g-gnump3d.html it will work cross platform on any system that's attached to your network.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by crx686 View Post
    All those settings I've done, except for the installing wins for that. I have pfsense which has a DNS server on it that i am running. Also Was that suppose to fixs my secound problem run my music off the server? Thanks for your help
    for my network music lib, i installed mt-daap (a Firefly/DAAP server) that I can connect to via rythmbox. works like a charm.
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Beans

Arrow Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryMaster View Post
    When i enter command sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart it says command is not found. Though samba should be installed because when i enter smb://ip address/share I can view the files??
    I'm having the same problem. I typed the line into Terminal as written on page 1 of the thread (and I'm positive I typed it correctly), and got back

Code:
    sudo: /etc/init.d/samba: command not found
    I checked the init.d folder in my GUI, and there was no "samba" file, nor anything that appeared Samba-related. But the Samba directory and "smb.conf" file are right where they're supposed to be. I just installed 9.10 Karmic via download; did something go wrong, or do I need to do something differently?

Assuming the above doesn't get me anywhere: will changing my Windows computer's workgroup from "MSHOME" to "WORKGROUP" negatively affect the Windows system in any way? My parents use this computer and I don't want to screw it up.
    Last edited by derekmbarnes; December 30th, 2009 at 12:48 AM. Reason: minor change for readability; please ignore

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by derekmbarnes View Post
    Code:
    I checked the init.d folder in my GUI, and there was no "samba" file, nor anything that appeared Samba-related. But the Samba directory and "smb.conf" file are right where they're supposed to be. I just installed 9.10 Karmic via download; did something go wrong, or do I need to do something differently?

Assuming the above doesn't get me anywhere: will changing my Windows computer's workgroup from "MSHOME" to "WORKGROUP" negatively affect the Windows system in any way? My parents use this computer and I don't want to screw it up.
    If there are no other Windows computers, you can change the workgroup name with no negative effects. However, I suggest using an unique name such as dereknet, which you will recognize very easily when it appears. Then you can say, "ah ha, this works!"

I think Samba is not part of a default installation. I have accessed Windows XP shares without it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jamesisin View Post
    maestrobwh1 - I don't want to derail dmizer's thread. Post a link to your new thread here and I'll follow you there.
    I posted it here. Any help you could offer would be appreciated !!!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1367698

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by derekmbarnes View Post
    I'm having the same problem. I typed the line into Terminal as written on page 1 of the thread (and I'm positive I typed it correctly), and got back

Code:

Rebooting will accomplish the same thing as /etc/rc.local/samba restart.

Edit:
    I've updated the howto to include this information.
    Last edited by dmizer; December 30th, 2009 at 03:57 AM.

Page 30 of 61 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast