Page 26 of 61 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Hi again all

Thanks Vastone for the links,

However i have already adjusted those settings, different links but same info. Unfortunately they didn't cure my issue.

I am currently trying to build Samba 3.4.3 from source. I managed this once, but due to inexperience in these things I used "make install" and had no idea where the program had installed to, or how to remove it Anyway some more time spent on google and i think ive removed it successfully "make uninstall" from the source directory.

Now equipped with a bit more knowledge via this link -

http://tuxradar.com/content/compile-...solve-problems

I will try again using "checkinstall" although im still a bit confused as to which elements of Samba my downloaded source code installs, and what I need to remove via synaptic first as there appears to be quite a few parts to samba listed.

Maybe I will remove them all and see what happens. I suppose I can always re-install them if required.

If anyone would like to advise me on this it would be appreciated

Regards

MrGrumpyArse / Mark

Beans

I read most of the thread, but I still have problems authenticating from a laptop running Ubuntu 9.10 to a laptop running Windows 7. The Windows 7 laptop can browse and access the folder shares in the ubuntu laptop without any issues. (The only thing is that it does not show the $print share in the Ubuntu laptop) I have no issues accessing the shares from an XP machine on the Ubuntu machine and vice-versa (including the ability to see the $print share in the Ubuntu laptop from Win XP machine) After following the instructions on the first page I was not able to access the Windows shares from Win 7, but only after I executed the command "sudo smbpasswd -a username" to add a user and password to the Samba access list... after this most of the problems of access "from" Win 7 went away. I lost a couple hours trying to access Ubuntu from Win 7 because of this.

Btw, I have changed the encryption level to 40/56 and the "LM and NTLM – use NTLMV2 session security if negotiated in windows plus the suggested registry changes. I also made changes to the smb.conf (workgroup, netbios name, reordered "wins" in the name resolve name line and set browseable to yes) Made changes to the nsswitch.conf too.

Don't know what else to try. Did I miss something obvious? Is there an easy way to install a later version than the default 3.4.0 without having to jump too many hoops? Something like an "optional" source that can be added to the Software Sources app -> Other Software tab to download and install a later version of Samba and its dependencies. Or of course, easy to follow step by step guide on how to download and install the latest and greatest version of Samba.
    Last edited by tamanaco; December 1st, 2009 at 11:50 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpyArse View Post
    I am currently trying to build Samba 3.4.3 from source. I managed this once, but due to inexperience in these things I used "make install" and had no idea where the program had installed to, or how to remove it Anyway some more time spent on google and i think ive removed it successfully "make uninstall" from the source directory.

Now equipped with a bit more knowledge via this link -

http://tuxradar.com/content/compile-...solve-problems

I will try again using "checkinstall" although im still a bit confused as to which elements of Samba my downloaded source code installs, and what I need to remove via synaptic first as there appears to be quite a few parts to samba listed.

Maybe I will remove them all and see what happens. I suppose I can always re-install them if required.
    I'm in the same boat... I downloaded 3.4.3 and tried the steps below, but I guess I'm missing something.

1. Downloaded the samba-3.4.3.tar.gz to a temp folder
    2. sudo tar xzvf samba-3.4.3.tar.gz
    This extracted the tar.gz file to a subfolder called samba-3.4.3... I then changed directory to /temp/samba-3.4.3/source3 (took me a little while to figure this out) From this folder I executed the following commands.
    3. sudo ./configure
    4. sudo make
    5. sudo make install

All of the steps above executed without a hitch and I think something was installed, but I don't think it installed over the existing installation of 3.4.0 which I had installed using the command "sudo aptitude install samba". If I run the command "smbd -V" it returns version 3.4.0. I "think" the above installed in the /usr/local/samba, but I'm not sure. I guess I did not followed the right steps... anyone care to list the steps required so that the existing 3.4.0 installation is updated to 3.4.3 using the above mentioned source file or any other method that works. Samba 3.4.3 "appears" to have a fix that addresses the specific issue I'm experiencing with win 7. Btw, I'm running ubuntu 9.10

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by tamanaco; December 3rd, 2009 at 12:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Oh boy, I finally got to work this and its being a nightmare.... has anyone asked why the firewall change in 9.04? networking was so easy with 8.10

Ok, this is my situation...

My desktop, ubu 9.04, firewall is disabled (terminal shows same data as example), then I use a VM with virtualbox for XP, which also has the firewall set as OFF and there's no antivirus installed, so nothing else in the way.

If I try to get into the VM from Ubuntu... I get the "Failed to retrieve shares" and cant see anything inside. If I try the same from the VM with XP... it tells me that I may not have access to that machine.

Both could see each other and both are in the same workgroup, I always use WORKGROUP for all xp machines. Did the changes for Problem 3 (all 3) and Problem 2 only the netbios name.

After a couple restarts I cannot see the other PC from neither one of them. In fact, from Ubuntu I can't see the WORKGROUP anymore (when clicking on WINDOWS NETWORKS) From the VM I can see only that same machine.

I honestly dont understand why the change, it was so easy to setup the shares with 8.10...
    HTPC: MSI FM2-A55M-E33 mobo, Amd A8-5600k APU, 6GB RAM, 120GB Crucial SSD Ubuntu Mate 15.04, 500GB Windows XP SP3, HDMI Video, 5.1ch Analog Audio, XBMC/Kodi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Tamanaco -

I am an absolute novice at this but ill share what little I have learned. I followed the same steps as you, with pretty much the same result. I did belatedly learn that if you use the command "make checkinstall" instead of "make install" a .deb file is created and installed (which allows you to remove the program via synaptic package manager).

Directly after you issue "make checkinstall" you are prompted to edit various "fields" which is how the package is identified within synaptic. I filled these in incorrectly so the package showed in synaptic as "source 3" not "Samba 3.4.3" as i had intended, but I found it eventually and was able to remove it, again via synaptic.

I intend to try again from scratch but was hoping someone more knowledgeable may post the correct procedure.

I "believe" you have to remove the elements of Samba from synaptic prior to installing the compiled version. But I havent tried yet so can't confirm.

But i must stress I am a complete novice at this and am only sharing what I think is correct. I would wait for advice from a more knowledgeable source if like me you are unsure how to do this upgrade correctly

My comments really are a case of the blind leading the blind!

If however you are more able than me, and complete the "upgrade" successfully please post back and share.

Good luck

MrGrumpyArse / Mark
    Last edited by MrGrumpyArse; December 3rd, 2009 at 06:10 PM.

Beans

MrGrumpyArse, I just tested using a couple Windows Vista computers and like Windows XP one can share folders both ways without an issue. The problem is "specific to Windows 7" and Samba 3.4.0 when one tries to access a folder shared from Windows 7 from Ubuntu. I have no issues accessing Ubuntu shares from Windows 7. I agree with you that if we get someone with experience that has successfully upgraded to Samba 3.4.3 on Ubuntu 9.10 environment and post the steps required... we "might" have a solution.
    Last edited by tamanaco; December 3rd, 2009 at 09:06 PM.

Beans

Just to jump back into this, I am at 3.4.0 Samba and can access Win7 shares from 9.10 but can only "see" the Samba shares if I browse via IP and then they show up no problem and I can connect to them. This tells me that it is most likely a netbios issue with Win 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by VastOne View Post
    This tells me that it is most likely a netbios issue with Win 7
    Most samba issues are directly related to netbios issues, so I entirely agree. I do not know yet how to solve it. It seems to work fine for me in my Win7 virtual machine. It seems like some people are having problems, and some are not, and those are the worst kind of problems to try to track down.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Any suggestions for me?
    HTPC: MSI FM2-A55M-E33 mobo, Amd A8-5600k APU, 6GB RAM, 120GB Crucial SSD Ubuntu Mate 15.04, 500GB Windows XP SP3, HDMI Video, 5.1ch Analog Audio, XBMC/Kodi

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lust wanted to say thank you. The changes in smb.conf worked great.

Page 26 of 61 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast