Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Problem with the new "Star Trek" movie SPOILER WARNING

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Problem with the new "Star Trek" movie SPOILER WARNING

Yeah. It was quite a stupid movie. The "old timeline" though is intact, the new one is now an alternative world like the one we know from other episodes of Star Trek but different.

I don't like the new Star Trek. New version of Doctor Who has been done much much better (sorry for my English, I feel that this sentence is wrong, but don't know how to improve it).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Corelogik View Post
    Spock traveled back in time, Spock prime remembered the original time line. So the original timeline existed. The moment Nero came back in time and encountered the USS Kelvin, the original timeline ceased to exist.

Star Trek is canon. So say the creators. They have reset the timeline for themselves in order to open up a new, unrestricted playground for new movies and series'.

YMMV
    No, Spock' causes Picard' causes Cochran' causes Archer' causes Spock'' causes Picard'' causes Cochran'' causes Archer'' causes Spock''' and so on. I didn't know the creator, Eugene Wesley "Gene" Roddenberry (August 19, 1921 – October 24, 1991), died in 1991 according to wikipedia, said or could say anything on the matter.

Or do you mean the ones who created this movie for $$$ and destroyed everything the actual creator did?

Quote Originally Posted by EDavidBurg View Post
    Wait. So you're telling me that a science fiction movie was inconsistent in its treatment of time travel? Holy cow!
    And a lot of movies are temporally accurate. The Back to the Future Trilogy is, except when Doc Brown sends him back to 1885, he should have known he would wind up in 1885 throughout the second and any part of the first movie after 1955. That means his line in 1885 "Who dressed you like that?" he should remember the 1955 him dressed Marty like that. That is the only issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnes View Post
    Yeah. It was quite a stupid movie. The "old timeline" though is intact, the new one is now an alternative world like the one we know from other episodes of Star Trek but different.

I don't like the new Star Trek. New version of Doctor Who has been done much much better (sorry for my English, I feel that this sentence is wrong, but don't know how to improve it).
    Yes, the only fix they can do is in the next movie they can say "The red matter must have split us into an entirely different tangent dimension, running alongside what actually would have happened."

And your English in that line is fine, the only thing you missed was it should be "The new version..." not just "New version..." but that doesn't matter. When speaking I've used similar to "New version..." but usually when typing I do say "The new version..."
    Last edited by bobbob1016; May 25th, 2009 at 02:23 PM.
    "Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah." - Ash J Williams

That works as well as not following every step in a tutorial or walkthrough.

I've always hated Star Trek for it's silly time travel plots and I was slightly dissapointed in this movie for using one. I understand WHY they did it, but it doesn't make it any less of a silly time travel plot.

Also, am I the only one wondering why a mining ship where people did "honest labor" needed so many weapons? I'm NOT a Star Trek fan so maybe I missed something, but Romulan war ships had to be damn near unstoppable if their mining ships are so powerful.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Star Trek has always been dumb, see B5 or something for a bit more substance. But what Star Trek has always been is fun, this movie was fun too.

Lens Flares suck however, I am no longer watching in person, instead I am now aware of watching via a camera, immersion somewhat destroyed.
    Last edited by stimpack; May 25th, 2009 at 02:51 PM.
    The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Beans

I got 1/2 way through the opening post before giving up.

Look, the new Trek film deals only with the thinnest of pretences. It breaks canon at every turn and the only answer to this is a hint at an, "alternate reality", being created by the whole time-travel-dealy. Equally, it drops the traditional Star Trek pretence of having even the smallest shred of intellectual merit (not that it wasn't a pretty strained shred to begin with).

Frankly, I don't care and neither should you. Star Trek canon, while used creatively in Enterprise, is ultimately an unwieldy beast which needs to be put to rest in order to make the Star Trek IP commercially viable again.

If you're going to dwell on and criticise this film, do so on the grounds that it's just a terrible film. It's script is a convoluted and holey mess. Chris Pine and Simon Pegg represent the only decent performances in the entire cast. It's shallow, aesthetically generic, optimised for the mentally retarded who demand nothing of their viewing but shiny effects and it adds absolutely nothing to the science fiction genre. Also, it tried to make Star Trek cool, which, as this film demonstrated in no uncertain terms, is like trying to fix a hole in the wall with a hammer. You just end up with a bigger hole than when you started.

Beans

I'll probably rent it once it comes out on DVD. And, thanks for the spoiler warning.

The thing might've took my head off.
    Ubuntu User #27950
    Linux User #492594
    For Proper Viewing, Take Red Pill Now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Regarding the "temporal prime directive" and the "Starship Relativity" in the 29th century attempting to prevent temporal incursions and trying to preserve the timeline.....

They warned Janeway not to mess with the timeline and to refrain from time travel.

If you are wondering why they were asleep at the switch in the new Star Trek movie, I want to know where they were in the last episode of Voyager called "EndGame"
    If variety is the spice of life, monotony must therefore be the kiss of death.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Guys, the great trick that the producers & writers brought to this movie was found a way to "re-tell" everything from the beginning in the Kirk/Spock/McCoy saga, and to fulfill this objective, they thought, "no problem if we fully mess with the canon timeline".

In fact, I have read something about J.J. Abrams saying "it does NOT follow original Star Trek canon, it is MY Star Trek, so do not bore me with this kind of stuff".

Anyway, I believe that is good to the franchise to catch new audience, and yes, the movie itself is pretty good - when it ends, it leaves a wish "to see more".

The only major fault of the movie for me was also the construction of the enterprise on earth... well, it is difficult even to imagine how it reached the open space...

[]'s

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by stimpack View Post
    Star Trek has always been dumb, see B5 or something for a bit more substance. But what Star Trek has always been is fun, this movie was fun too.

Lens Flares suck however, I am no longer watching in person, instead I am now aware of watching via a camera, immersion somewhat destroyed.
    Babylon 5 is on my list next. I've seen bits and pieces since my dad is a fan of both B5 and Star Trek. I don't remember much, but they have time travel as well iirc. Don't tell me since I want to watch it and find out why there is time travel.
    "Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah." - Ash J Williams

That works as well as not following every step in a tutorial or walkthrough.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tsali View Post
    I thought it was written to appeal to teenage movie-goers.

The plot-line was thin and story poor...invented devices to "introduce" teens to the new "Kirk and crew". What's next, "The Real World: Star Fleet Academy"? Uniforms by Aeropostale?

The effects were quite nice. The fight scene on the drill was very good.

In contrast, I thought "Nemesis" was well written and engrossing.

The thing that set the original 'Star Trek' apart was good story telling. Some great sci-fi authors wrote some Star Trek episodes.
    ( http://www.rimworlds.com/thecrotchetyoldfan/?p=4256 )

For some reason, storytelling became a lost art as the 'Star Trek' spiralled down through DS9, Voyager, and the abysmal Enterprise. Each episode had become fashioned like "soap operas"...a literal continuation of the previous episode. The original series could tell a complete story in one hour. The intro splash is all you needed to get the back story.

I'm old school. I don't like soaps. I hate having to "follow" a series to have any clue about what's going on in an episode. Shows like "Lost" do exactly that...they lose me!

DS9 was the best 2nd only to the original and face to face with tng.... Don't hate
    Constant development is the law of life, and a man who always tries to maintain his dogmas in order to appear consistent drives himself into a false position - Mahatma Gandhi

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123